Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

3 Doctoral Degree Program Awards: National Chengchi University Award in Asia-Pacific Studies

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
12 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Awards are available to pursue a full-time international doctoral degree program in Asia-Pacific Studies (IDAS) at National Chengchi University (NCCU).  Programs are taught in English.

NCCU is a leading university in Taiwan, especially in the fields of Humanities, Social Sciences, Management, Politics, and International Affairs, and provides a top international environment to foreign students. NCCU has also been elected as the "Aim for the Top University Project" sponsored school of the Ministry of Education and is part of QS World Universities rankingts as well.  

The IDAS program at NCCU is the first in Taiwan to offer an English-taught doctoral program in the field. The program is supported by the best faculty members and research fellows and the specializations of the IDAS faculty cover: Anthropology and Ethnology, Economics and Public Finance, Development Studies, International Relations and Security, Labor Relations, Political Science, Public Administration, Policy Analysis, Sociology, and Social Welfare, among others.

The award is co-sponsored by the National Chengchi University.

Grant Period

12 Months

Grants begin in September 2019, prior to the Fulbright welcome reception (usually the Friday after Labor Day).

The Grant is initially awarded for 12 months, and renewal for the second year is dependent upon the grantee's academic success with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B) on a 4 scale. Students can expect approximately two years of coursework and a year or more for writing the dissertation. Normally, this program will take four years to earn a Ph.D., and the NCCU offers a major portion of the awrard. The Fulbright Doctoral grant offer is for the first two years. Students are responsible for securing financing for the remainder of their studies, usually through personal funds or local research support.

The IDAS curriculum offers four tracks from which students can choose courses: Political Economy, Society and Culture, Public Governance and Public Policy, and International Relations.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Candidate must have received a master's degree prior to enrollment and intend to pursue a four-year doctoral degree. Strong academic credentials in their area of specialization are expected. A good capacity for studying and living in a cross-cultural setting is necessary. Candidates must specify to which track they are applying and will be evaluated against that cohort.

Grantees cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Accepted Degree Levels


Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

A working knowledge of Mandarin or Taiwanese is useful, but not required. Mandarin study in Taiwan is highly encouraged.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: No

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


No letter of affiliation is requried upon application. Candidates must be accepted by both the Fulbright Commission in Taiwan and the university program. Once a Fulbright finalist gains admission to the doctoral degree program, a copy of the admission letter must be provided to the commission.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The grant provides full tuition support at National Chengchi University for four years as long as the candidate maintains satisfactory academic standards. Full-time Ph.D. students in regular session ordinarily register for 9-12 credits (three-four courses) per semester. Students may enroll for additional credits, but they will be responsible for the added tuition and fees.

Meanwhile, students are alo responsible for paying the fourth-year tuition and finding their own housing during the last one year of all four-year doctoral program. Generally, graduate students are expected to finish their research, write a dissertation, and defend it successfully in the final year (fourth year) and take no more required courses other than those directly related to their dissertation research. 

Also, FSE offers the grant recipients round trip airfare (return upon competion of the Ph.D.), and for two years, a monthly living allowance plus national health insurance.


  • Candidates currently residing in Taiwan (or those who will be living there during the 2018-2019 academic year) will not be considered.
  • Individuals with dual U.S.-Taiwan citizenship or permanent residency are not eligible.

Special Application Instructions

Applicants must select 'NCU Asia-Pacific (Doctoral)' in the Award Name field of the application.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.