Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Burkina Faso

< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants will begin between August 2019 and March 2020, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Ouagadougou.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2019.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional information: French language proficiency is necessary, not only for the development of the proposed project, but also in order to settle in easily and communicate on a daily basis. Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant's responsibility to secure affiliation with an appropriate institution. It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate institutions for their projects, and include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.

To arrange affiliation with the University of Ouagadougou, applicants should contact: Le Vice-President, charge de la recherche et de la cooperation internationale. For affiliations with other educational, cultural, or social institutions, applicants should contact the heads of those institutions directly. Correspondence addressed either to the University or to other institutions may be routed through the U.S. Embassy.

Visa Requirements

Fulbrighters are responsible for obtaining their own visas before leaving the U.S. Fulbrighters and their families should obtain visas at the Embassy of Burkina Faso in Washington, DC.  For further information, consult the following website or email: info@VisaHQ.com.

Upon arrival, and before the entry visa expires, Fulbrighters must obtain a long-term visa (normally valid for renewable, one-year periods) for the duration of their stay in Burkina Faso.  They will need two identical photographs for this visa. They can bring these photographs with them or have them taken in town upon arrival.

Research Clearance

Applicants should send a letter and their resume or curriculum vitae (and French versions of both) to the Burkinabe Minister of Scientific Research and Innovation, through the Embassy of Burkina Faso in Washington D.C., stating the field, project, period of research, and areas of Burkina Faso that will be covered by the research. It is suggested that copies of all these documents be sent to the Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Embassy-Ouagadougou, Department of State, 2440 Ouagadougou Place, Washington, DC 20521-2440.

Special Opportunities

Graduate-level candidates can teach courses at the University of Ouagadougou or any other private university in the country as a supplement to their research projects on a volunteer basis.

Specific Considerations

The U.S. Embassy advises applicants to pay special attention to the travel and security information given here.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Yolande Edwige Onadja-Kabore

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.