Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants begin between August 2020 and March 2021, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Lusaka.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2020.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Although English is the official language, knowledge of an indigenous language may be useful or necessary for certain projects, especially outside of urban areas.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an educational institution, research facility, or other appropriate institution. It is strongly recommended that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.

Two possible universities with which to affiliate are Copperbelt University (CBU) and the University of Zambia (UNZA).  Copperbelt University, located in Kitwe, is at the heart of Zambia's mining sector. It is the second-largest of the state-run universities in Zambia, with more than 7,000 students. The University of Zambia, in Lusaka, is the nation's largest public university.

Special Opportunities

Applications are sought in all appropriate disciplines, but those in the following disciplines are preferred: Agriculture, Business Administration, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Information Sciences, Journalism, Law and Human Rights, Political Science, Public Administration, Teacher Education and Curriculum Development, and Urban and Regional Planning.

Specific Considerations

In an effort to reach out to underserved communities and to encourage affiliations beyond heavily-subscribed institutions within the capital city, priority consideration will be given to applicants who seek to carry out projects outside Lusaka Province.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Sandra Banda