Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

2 Fulbright/National Science Foundation Arctic Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Approximately two awards may be available for the Fulbright-National Science Foundation Arctic Research Grant. The students will be expected to conduct substantive, Arctic-related research in Iceland. Projects must be well defined and must be completed within the grant period.

The grant is open to PhD students in all social and natural science fields as they relate to the Arctic and the people living there. These include but not limited to work in the fields of political science, anthropology, archaeology, linguistics, governance,  gender studies, health (excluding clinical medicine), economics, ecology, glaciology, geology, sustainability science, and other applicable fields. 

Students are responsible for finding their own housing, but universities or other hosts may be able to provide assistance.

Icelandic unversities provide many courses in English. Iceland also provides very interesting research opportunities in many fields. As a small, highly technologically advanced country, Iceland is ideal for many types of research. English is widely spoken and much used in academia.

Since the Fulbright Program in Iceland is relatively small, the Commission is able to maintain close ties with grantees during their stay and provide a sense of community among Fulbright grantees. There are monthly grantee activities sponsored by the Commission, in addition to access to Fulbright alumni events and other social activities.

Grant Period

9 Months

Grants will begin in mid August to early September 2021. The grant period is 9 months.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation


The Fulbright Commission hosts a mandatory in-country orientation at the end of August/beginning of September.

Candidate Profile

Ph.D. students in the social and natural sciences are eligible. Projects must be Arctic-related and must be research-focused. Candidates must have a relevant and substantive research project and must display the research experience and skills to undertake research in a foreign country. 

Please note that Ph.D. students are eligible to apply for this grant even though they are receiving other dissertation funding through NSF or other bodies, as long as need is demonstrated and it is clear that funds will be used for different purposes.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

It is expected that research projects can be successfully completed using English language.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Affilation with any university, research organization or other appropriate partner in Iceland.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The grantee is responsible for all fees and tuition. It is the grantee's responsibility to inquire about tuitions and fees at a proposed host university and to make the necessary arrangements.

Fulbright Iceland grants are for one academic year only. All Fulbright benefits cease at the end of the Fulbright grant period. 


Dual American/Icelandic citizens are not eligible.

If the applicant has lived in Iceland previously, this may affect the evaluation, but it does not automatically disqualify an applicant. 

Special Application Instructions

In the Fulbright online application, in the Award Selection, please select Fulbright/National Science Foundation Arctic Research Award from the drop-down menu.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Randver Kari Randversson