Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

1 Fulbright/Antall József Fellowship Award at Corvinus University of Budapest

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

The Antall József Knowledge Centre of Political and Social Sciences is an independent, nonpartisan think-tank founded in 2010 in cooperation with Corvinus University of Budapest. The Centre's key aim is to support the intellectual development and research activities of students, researchers, and young professionals through various educational programs, conferences and roundtable discussions on pressing national, regional and international issues. The Centre is devoted to addressing and analyzing critical issues by bringing together academic experts and key policy makers. The Centre is also involved with the publishing of high-quality books and articles in the field of political and social sciences.

Grant Period

9 Months

Applications for grants up to 9 months will be considered.

The Hungarian Fulbright Commission provides a 4-day orientation program in Budapest at the beginning of September 2021, which includes basic language and intercultural competency training. Attendance at the orientation course is expected.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation

Candidate Profile

The Fulbright-Antall József fellow will undertake a large-scale research project that is congruent with the Centre’s fields of interest but also features a perspective unique to the fellow due to their academic background. The fellow will also have opportunities to take part in the daily activities of one of the Centre’s six international relations departments. S/he will develop one or more policy papers, which will analyze through theory, practice, and multidisciplinary perspectives an international issue relevant to the Central European region. S/he may choose to focus on foreign policy, security and defense policy, or another field of international relations. S/he may attend courses at Corvinus University of Budapest.

Applicants must be currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate students, or recent graduates at accredited, four-year undergraduate colleges or universities. Applicants must have an excellent academic record.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Hungarian language proficiency is not a requirement in the candidate selection process. Some study of Hungarian prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


The affiliation for this award will be with the Antall József Knowledge Centre at Corvinus University of Budapest. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Centre to discuss their proposal and request a letter of invitation. Applicants should contact Mr. Zsolt Pálmai, from the Transatlantic Relations Department, at Please copy Annamaria Sas on emails to Mr. Pálmai.


Candidates residing in Hungary at the time of application and/or candidates with extensive past residence in the host country are less preferred.

For policy reasons, those born and educated in Hungary, and who left the country within the last five years, will not be considered.

Special Application Instructions

In your Fulbright on-line application, for Award Name please select Corvinus Univ. Award from the drop down menu.

Country Overview

Hungary is a welcoming and safe country with rich cultural and educational traditions. The Hungarian higher education system is part of the European Higher Education Area. The country has many well-known universities with rapidly growing international connections, joint programs and many international students.

The academic year is from September to May. Semesters are typically four months in length. The second semester begins in February. Over 400 study programs in English and other languages are offered by Hungarian higher education institutions.

The Hungarian Fulbright Commission organizes an extensive orientation program for U.S. grantees. All through the grant period, grantees are regularly invited to participate in cultural enrichment programs, visits and conferences. These programs offer interesting insights into Hungarian culture, different institutions, and also foster team spirit among grantees.

The Fulbright Commission gives grantees thorough assistance in obtaining visa/residence permit for the duration of their grant in Hungary.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Annamaria Sas , US Program Officer