Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants will begin between September 2020 and June 2021, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2020.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information: Swahili language proficiency is not a requirement in the candidate selection process. However, applicants should include plans for studying the language if selected, since Swahili language abilities will greatly enhance the Fulbright experience and will promote deeper engagement with the host community. Other indigenous languages may be useful or necessary for certain projects, especially outside of urban areas.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an educational or research institution. It is strongly recommended that they identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. Researchers may be assigned additional local advisers in the clearance process. These advisers should also be kept informed about progress and any changes to the research.

Research Clearance for Mainland Tanzania

Researchers on mainland Tanzania (except students officially affiliated with a university) obtain research clearance, prior to arriving in Tanzania, from the National Commission on Science and Technology (COSTECH), E-mail: After clearance has been obtained, upon arrival in Tanzania, students should pay for and pick up the clearance from COSTECH and then apply for residency with the Ministry of Home Affairs–Immigration Department. Students must work with their host institution to obtain a resisdency permit. The application process usually takes about seven working days.  Applicants should begin the application for research clearance simultaneously with the application for a grant-- but should not pay any fees (except the $50 application fee) until if/when they are formally offered Fulbright grants. Students who are planning to carry out medical-related research need to apply for clearance from the National Institute for Medical Research.

After arrival in Tanzania, field researchers should allow for a flexible schedule for a month to process COSTECH and immigration documents in case additional documents are needed, or other clearances are required, depending on the research topic. Again, students must work closely with their host insitutions to assist them in processing these documents. For example, researchers in forestry, wildlife, medicine, or any research involving minors, patients, or animals, may need additional clearances from other agencies. Researchers are advised to apply for clearance early and ask COSTECH whether there is a possibility they will require other clearances. See the Embassy website below for more comprehensive details on research clearance requirements and procedures.

Research Clearance and Residence Permit for Zanzibar

Research in Zanzibar requires clearance from the Office of the Chief Minister in Zanzibar, P. O. Box 239 Zanzibar, Tanzania. The application letter should describe the proposed research and formally request permission to carry out the project.  It is also wise to send a courtesy copy of the application letter to the Assistant Minister, Ministry of State Planning, P.O. Box 874, Zanzibar, Tanzania. 

Recently, some Fulbrighters have alternatively received clearance through the Zanzibar Division of Archives, Museums and Antiquities when they had relevant research interests with that institution.  Contact them at +255 (0)24 2230342 or via email. Obtaining clearance can be a lengthy process, so applicants should begin the application for research clearance simultaneously with the application for a grant—but should not pay any fees (except application fees) until if/when they are formally offered Fulbright grants.

In addition, please note that a mainland residence permit is not valid in Zanzibar.  You must get a residence permit in Zanzibar (which is, however, also valid on the mainland).


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Joshua Mlay