Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

South Korea

< Back to country

60 English Teaching Assistant Award -- Secondary

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
13 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

13 Months

The grant runs from early July until late July of the following year.

Upon receipt of the Fulbright award, all English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) will be expected to complete a 120-hour TESOL course designated by the Korean Fulbright Commission (KAEC). ETAs will begin their grants in July 2020 with a six-week orientation program, which will consist of intensive Korean language study, training in ESL teaching techniques, and an overview of Korean culture and history. Renewals for up to two additional years are available and are awarded based upon satisfactory cultural adjustment and teaching performance.

Note on authorized leave time: An accepted grantee's first responsibility is to the Korean host school. There will be a period in the winter when the ETA will have vacation time. Grantees will receive 18 total working days of vacation during the winter and spring breaks.    

*Candidates must be aware that aside from the winter and spring breaks, they will not be permitted to travel outside the host country for interviews or vacations. Individuals should not apply for or accept this award unless they are able to commit to this academic schedule.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Secondary Schools: Applicants should be well-rounded graduating seniors or recent graduates under 30 years of age. Candidates must be fluent English speakers and demonstrate the necessary initiative to teach conversational English to middle and high school students. Moreover, candidates must give evidence of the ability to adapt and thrive in a variety of intensive cultural environments, such as living in a Korean homestay (mandatory for the first year) and working within the Korean educational system. Awardees who successfully complete their awards and renew for the second year have the option to live independently in a Korean apartment. Previous teaching experience (particularly those with a background in secondary education) is preferred, but not required. ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: No Korean language skills are required. Applicants should demonstrate a clear interest in Korea and learning Korean. The summer ETA Orientation will include an intensive Korean language component, so some level of elementary self-study is expected prior to arrival.

Placement Type

Secondary School

Fulbright grantees' preferences for placement location, school type, and other details will be considered. However, individuals should not apply for or accept this award unless they are committed to teaching in a placement that may differ from their preferences.


  • Candidates with dual U.S.-Republic of Korea citizenship will not be considered.
  • Candidates currently residing in Korea (or those who will be living there during the 2019-2020 academic year) will not be considered.

Special Application Instructions

In your Fulbright online application, for Award Name, please select the specific award you are applying for from the drop down menu.

All ETAs MUST receive a criminal background check before arrival.

Nature of Assignment

ETAs should expect to spend approximately 22 hours per week of classroom teaching, as well as additional time for class preparation and school-related activities. Co-teaching and/or independent teaching situations will vary from school to school and also depend on the school's situation and the ETA's background and qualifications. ETAs may be assigned more than one school based on need, but cumulative teaching responsibilities shall not exceed 22 hours per week.

TESOL/TEFL Certification

All grantees will take an online 120-hour TESOL course prior to arriving in Korea in early July in order to meet the Korean government’s requirement. Those already holding certificates/degrees are encouraged to apply. The Fulbright Commission in Korea will coordinate the TESOL course logistics. The course is significantly discounted, and ETAs will be responsible for obtaining this TESOL certificate at their own expense.


Participating schools will make arrangements for homestays. KAEC will make every effort to ensure that host schools find appropriate homestays for first-year grantees. ETAs MUST live in a Korean homestay for a full year.

Individuals should not apply for or accept this award if they are not prepared for the immersive experience of a Korean homestay. 

Visa Requirements/Dual Citizenship

Candidates holding dual citizenship with Korea will NOT be permitted to undertake Fulbright Student grants to Korea.

All Fulbright U.S. Student Program grantees going to Korea MUST obtain an A-3 visa and enter the country on a U.S. passport.

In April 2010, the Republic of Korea passed legislation that allows for dual citizenship, with differing rules for men and women. If you are Korean-American, you may have dual U.S.-ROK citizenship unbeknownst to you or your family. In order to confirm your dual citizenship status, you MUST contact the nearest Korean Embassy or Korean Consulate prior to submitting a Fulbright application.

A Korean-American applicant in the following circumstances is considered by the Republic of Korea to be a Korean citizen: 

  • A Korean-American individual whose father or mother was still a Korean citizen at the time of the individual's birth
  • A Korean-American individual whose father was a Korean national and was deceased at the time of the individual's birth     

Applicants who fall under either of the categories listed above MUST take due procedures to renounce their Korean citizenship through a Korean Consulate in the United States. These circumstances do not apply to individuals who received American citizenship through adoption, as Korean citizenship is automatically renounced six months after American citizenship is granted.

It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to determine whether they have dual citizenship and how it impacts their eligibility for a Fulbright grant. If any individual is found to have dual citizenship at the time of or after grant acceptance, their award will be revoked.

In order to avoid cancellation of a Fulbright grant after an application has been submitted, reviewed, and potentially approved, KAEC requires that all Korean-American applicants provide written proof that they do not have Korean citizenship before they accept their grant award. This can be accomplished in only two ways, which are as follows:

1. Submit written proof from the ROK Ministry of Justice declaring that the Korean-American applicant does not have Korean citizenship

2. Submit a formal document from the ROK Ministry of Justice declaring that the Korean-American applicant has successfully renounced their Korean citizenship

Health Disclosure and Eligibility

In compliance with Korean government regulations regarding health and employment in the schools, all candidates must indicate in their applications if they have any medical conditions that could impair their abilities to teach English. Strict adherence to these regulations is MANDATORY. Any attempts to omit or falsify information are immediate grounds for revoking/terminating the grant. Fulbright applicants must include Medical Disclosures for applicable medical conditions at the end of the Statement of Grant Purpose.

Individuals with the following conditions cannot be placed in Korean classrooms:

  • Visual impairments (conditions that cannot be corrected by glasses/contact lenses)
  • Hearing impairments above 40dB

In addition to the aforementioned conditions, other conditions that must be disclosed include, but are not limited to:

  • Conditions worsened by stress such as: epilepsy, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc.
  • Severe food allergies including, but not limited to: nuts, shellfish, and beans

Disclosing HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis testing results on the Fulbright medical form will be REQUIRED for all candidates who are awarded grants. The corresponding documentation from the attending physician must also be submitted.

ETAs must also receive a drug test and provide documentation that they have been cleared.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Jai Ok Shim