South Korea

< Back to country

2 Korean Studies Master's Degree Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
12 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

This grant, which has received significant support from the Korean government, was established with the objective of promoting Korean Studies in the United States. Grant recipients will receive support for the duration of a two-year master’s degree program upon the successful admission to a Korean university. Applicants MUST pursue a graduate degree in Korean Studies.

Only candidates who demonstrate a specific intent to pursue Korean Studies as a career and who focus their program primarily on Korea will be considered. 

Candidates must independently apply for and gain admission to a Korean university.

Recipients of this grant must maintain satisfactory academic progress throughout their tenure AND are expected to study and research on a full-time schedule. Awardees are expected to complete all degree requirements within two academic years of entrance into the program. 

Grant Period

12 Months

Two academic years. However, renewal for the second year is dependent upon the grantee’s academic success (above a 3.0/4.0 GPA or equivalent).

The Korean academic year typically begins in March. Thus, most grantees would begin their grants in the February following grant award notification. However, should the program offer a fall start date, grantees may be able to start during the fall following grant award notification. 

Grants will begin:

-Late Summer/Early Fall 2019


-Late Winter/Early Spring 2020

Grant program end dates will coincide with the graduate progrm's final exam schedule.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

All applicants must explain their interest in Korean Studies in the Statement of Grant Purpose and must detail how the Korean Studies master's degree will contribute to their future career paths.

Accepted Degree Levels


Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Advanced

Additional Information: Candidates with advanced levels of Korean language ability will be given preference. Applicants must provide evidence of Korean language ability by providing transcripts containing at least 2 semesters of Korean language coursework.

However, the requirement is determined by the university’s master's degree program.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: No

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


All applicants must indicate in which master's programs they plan to enroll. Issuance of the award is contingent upon acceptance into an eligible Korean master's degree program.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The grant provides recipients with full tuition support at a Korean university, accommodations, transportation expenses, and a generous living stipend.


  • Candidates with dual U.S.-Republic of Korea citizenship will not be considered.
  • Candidates currently residing in Korea (or those who will be living there during the 2018-2019 academic year) will not be considered.
  • Those currently holding a graduate degree will not be considered.
  • Candidates pursuing doctoral degrees or professional degrees are not eligible for funding. 

Special Application Instructions

Applicants must select "Korean Studies Grad" in the Award Name field of the application.

Visa Requirements/Dual Citizenship

Candidates holding dual citizenship with Korea will NOT be permitted to undertake Fulbright Student grants to Korea.

All U.S. Student Program Fulbright grantees going to Korea MUST obtain an A-3 visa and enter the country on a U.S. passport.

In April 2010, the Republic of Korea passed legislation that allows dual citizenship, with differing rules for men and women. If you are Korean-American, you may have dual U.S.-ROK citizenship unbeknownst to you or your family.  In order to confirm the dual citizenship, you MUST contact the nearest Korean Embassy or Korean Consulate prior to submitting a Fulbright application.

Korean-American applicants in the following circumstances are considered by the Republic of Korea to be Korean citizens: 

  • Korean-American individuals whose fathers or mothers were still Korean citizens at the time of the individuals’ births.
  • Korean-American individuals whose fathers were Korean nationals and were deceased at the time of the individuals’ births.     

Applicants who fall under any of the categories listed above MUST take due procedures to renounce their Korean citizenship through a Korean Consulate in the U.S.  This does not apply to individuals who received American citizenship through adoption, as Korean citizenship is automatically renounced six months after American citizenship is granted.

It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to determine whether they have dual citizenship and how it impacts their eligibility for a Fulbright grant. If any individual is found to have dual citizenship at the time of or after the grant acceptance, their award will be revoked.

In order to avoid cancellation of a Fulbright grant after an application has been submitted, reviewed, and potentially approved, KAEC requires that all Korean-American applicants provide written proof that they do not have Korean citizenship before they accept their grant award. This can be accomplished in only two ways, which are listed as followed:

1. Submit any written proof from the ROK Ministry of Justice declaring that the Korean-American applicant does not have Korean citizenship.

2. Submit a formal document from the ROK Ministry of Justice declaring that the Korean-American applicant has successfully renounced their Korean citizenship.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Jai Ok Shim