Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

South Africa

< Back to country

10 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

ETAs to South Africa are required to begin their grants in January 2021, in order to attend the mandatory in-country group orientation provided by the U.S. Embassy in Pretoria.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2020.

Candidate Profile

Master's-level candidates are preferred. However, graduating seniors or graduate students considering careers in education, who have a degree in English, education or TEFL/applied linguistics and have experience teaching or tutoring will be considered. Other fields will be considered if combined with experience in working with first-generation college students, teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy. Candidates with the ability to incorporate or organize extra-curricular activities – music, art, dance, English Clubs, Reading and Writing Clubs - are preferred. Candidates with an interest in African languages, culture, and history are also encouraged to apply. 

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Placement will be made by the U.S. Embassy at universities in the following provinces: Gauteng, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, Mpumalanga, Limpopo and KwaZulu-Natal. Applicants are encouraged to contact the U.S. Embassy’s Regional English Language Office if they have questions. 

ETAs spend approximately 20 hours per week assisting and supporting university instructors, tutotring as well as working on additional projects. (See below for past projects). English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) will be assigned as Teaching Assistants or Tutors, assisting in a variety of academic formats, from one-on-one tutoring to co-teaching to improving academic reading and writing skills of students whose English is a second (or more commonly third or fourth) language.  ETAs are also encouraged to create their own projects with institutions or communities.  Past sample projects include literacy celebration week, job fairs, women's groups, journalism clubs, book clubs, cultural days, debate clubs, etc.

Special Application Instructions


South Africa ETAs are typically placed in pairs to work as a team with the expectation that they will share accommodation to help offset living and rental car costs.  ETAs are encouraged to find temporary housing before arrival in South Africa (through AirBNB, for example), and to search for a long-term housing thereafter.  South Africa has a high violent crime rates and housing should meet basic security guidelines.  ETAs will receive a security briefing upon arrival and are expected to follow safety and security precautions. Most ETAs elect to rent vehicles with their ETA partner in order to commute to their institutions.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

RELO Office