Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

English Teaching Assistant Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

The academic year begins in September/October 2021 and ends in May/June 2022. A mandatory in-country group orientation will be provided by the U.S. Embassy in Dakar.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2021.

Candidate Profile

Graduate students or graduating seniors with a degree in English or education who are considering careers in English, education, or TEFL/applied linguistics and have experience in teaching or tutoring will be considered. Applicants with degrees and/or experience in library sciences and information technology, if combined with teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy, are also encouraged to apply.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information: A working knowledge of French and/or Wolof is very useful in Senegal.

Placement Type

Middle School

Secondary School

Other Educational Institution

Nature of Assignment

ETAs will work approximately 20 hours per week assisting school teachers in their classrooms, plus the requisite class preparation time. At the host institution, ETAs will help with research, lesson plans and course presentation to improve the English speaking, listening, reading and writing skills of students for whom English is a second language.  ETAs may also assist with English for Specific Purposes, curriculum design, training academic and administrative staff, information technology and school-related activities including English clubs.

Responsibilities may also include working with U.S. Embassy programs such as the American Corners, the Information Resource Center, the Access program, webinars and conferences.

ETAs will be assigned as language-learning assistants, but may be asked to be responsible for teaching entire courses.


The U.S. Embassy will work with host institutions to assist ETAs in identifying possible homestays or other lodging. However, finding and securing housing is ultimately the responsibility of each ETA.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website