< Back to country

4 Fulbright Ecole Normale Superieure (ENS) Paris-Saclay Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Two to four awards of 6 to 12 months each are offered to pursue a master's degree or research at the Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS) Paris-Saclay (formerly known as ENS Cachan) in the hard sciences, engineering, humanities, or social sciences. ENS Paris-Saclay is a leading institution of higher education with a mission to train professors, researchers and graduate-level course instructors through research-oriented master’s programs. The institution's 12 teaching departments and 14 research units focus on three main areas: basic sciences, engineering sciences, and human and social sciences. It is a member institution of the Université Paris-Saclay, a world-class research university.

Grant Period

9 Months

Grants are awarded for a minimum duration of 6 months and a maximum duration of 12 months. Grant periods may vary for independent research projects.

Grants will generally begin on September 1 through June 30 for university attendance.

Grantees will be required to attend a mandatory 1- to 2-day in-country orientation in late September or early October, and a 2-day mid-year conference in February (organized by the Fulbright Commission in France).

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Graduating college seniors, master's, and Ph.D.-level candidates interested pursuing studies and/or research at ENS Paris-Saclay in the following fields are eligible to apply: hard sciences, engineering, social sciences, and humanities.

For reasons of visa eligibility, applicants in the hard sciences (including life sciences and engineering) must fall into one of three categories:

    • Be enrolled at ENS Paris-Saclay as a student during their stay in France, in which case they are eligible for a student visa;
    • Be enrolled in a US university during their stay in France, in which case they are eligible for an intern visa; or
    • Provide verification of already having completed a master's degree before arriving in France, in which case they are eligible for a scientific-researcher visa.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: French language proficiency is recommended, commensurate with the requirements of the project. Sponsored language courses are not offered by the Fulbright program in France; however, language courses are offered by ENS Paris-Saclay to selected grantees. In the Fulbright online application system, applicants should include "Form 7: Language Self-Evaluation" and "Form 8: A Foreign Language Evaluation by a professional language instructor," in relation to their language proficiency. 

ENS Paris-Saclay delivers 7 master’s programs in English and there are 17 master’s programs delivered in both French and English. An excellent knowledge of French is required for candidates interested in pursuing coursework in French. A basic knowledge of French may be sufficient for candidates proposing scientific research projects.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


It is the applicant's responsibility to secure affiliation with ENS Paris-Saclay. A letter of affiliation should be submitted with the application for applicants pursuing research projects. Applicants enrolling in a degree seeking program must apply to ENS Paris-Saclay as well. Applicants must concurrently contact the ENS Paris-Saclay International Office at, who will explain the procedure to apply for the ENS Paris-Saclay scholarship. For these applicants, a letter of affiliation is not required before or during the application process, but awards are made conditional upon acceptance by ENS Paris-Saclay.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

A full tuition waiver and access to language instruction are provided, if needed, from the ENS Paris-Saclay.


Candidates currently residing in France are not eligible for consideration.

Special Application Instructions

In the Fulbright online application, Question #22 Award Name please select ENS Paris-Saclay Grant from the drop down menu.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Charlotte Goodwin