Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Congo (DRC-Kinshasa)

< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants will begin between August 2019 and March 2020, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2019

Candidate Profile

Ideal candidates have projects that would contribute to the development of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and to better understanding between the United States and the DRC in the following areas: democracy and governance, natural resource management, conflict resolution, entrepreneurship and economic growth, poverty reduction, the environment, the education system, social work, development, and civic education. Applications demonstrating new or innovative methods for confronting these issues will also be considered.

While the research project should be the primary grant activity, Fulbrighters may also be asked to assist their host (or local) universities via: teaching undergraduate or graduate courses, helping with student advising, and/or contributing to curriculum development.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: French language proficiency is necessary, not only for the development of the proposed project, but also in order to settle in easily and communicate on a daily basis. Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project.

Knowledge of local languages may also be needed depending on the area of research. 

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an appropriate host institution-- which, in most cases, is a Congolese university. It is strongly recommended that they identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. While candidates may be able to take university coursework, independent research should be the primary grant activity.

General Comments

Applicants should have experience working in developing countries, where communications, travel and health infrastructure are extremely limited. Applicants should also be adaptable and able to work independently. U.S. Embassy Kinshasa will not consider proposals for projects outside of Kinshasa.

Specific Considerations

Candidates with dependent children should bear in mind that Kinshasa is home to several international and private schools, including institutions tied to the American, French and Belgian communities. These institutions are paid, private schools, and can be expensive relative to Congolese public and private institutions.

For more information on the American School of Kinshasa (TASOK), contact Simon Gillespie, Director of TASOK, or Ms. Kareen LaPlanche, TASOK's Business Manager.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Taylor Tinney

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.