Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Grants should begin in September or October.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in June or July as a condition of their grant.  

Candidate Profile

Well-qualified graduate-level students are preferred. Candidates must be mature, self-motivated individuals who are capable of working independently. Applications will be considered in all fields, provided that projects are possible in Lithuanian institutions of higher education or make use of Lithuanian archival sources. Preference is given to research that addresses issues of significance to contemporary Lithuania, such as political science, regional security, energy security, media literacy, economics, educational reform and related issues, humanities, and social and technical sciences.

Excellent opportunities exist for the study of applied arts, Lithuanian language, literature, and folklore.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Lithuanian language proficiency is not required, unless it is necessary for the successful completion of the project. Students enrolled in regular studies at universities need to be able to follow lectures in Lithuanian. Some language study prior to arrival is encouraged to promote deeper engagement with the host community. Knowledge of Russian may be helpful.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants are encouraged to arrange an affiliation and submit letters of invitation/affiliation with their application.

It is strongly recommended that applicants research information on university programs. 

Please check university information at Study in Lithuania. More information about studies in Lithuania can be found at the following website

Visa Requirements

All grantees must secure a National D visa before departing for Lithuania. Please contact the Lithuanian Embassy in Washington D.C. for instructions on how to apply for a D visa.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Rasa Baukuviene, Educational Affairs Specialist

Additional Online Resources

Lithuania - Country Profile