Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

2 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Award Profile

Grantees will assist permanent teaching staff at the University of Malta and at Maltese primary and secondary schools. 

Grant Period

9 Months

ETAs arrive in mid-September 2021 to participate in the teachers’ meetings, which are held prior to the commencement of the academic year. Grants conclude in mid-June 2022.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in June or July as a condition of their grant.

Arrival Orientation

Candidate Profile

Preference will be given to applicants already possessing a bachelor's degree at the time of application, with the initiative, maturity, and self-reliance needed to assist in teaching English language and American studies to Maltese students in university, high school, and elementary school environments. Master’s-level candidates and applicants with teaching experience are encouraged to apply.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Maltese language proficiency is not required. Some study of Maltese prior to arrival is encouraged to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Placement Type

Elementary School

Middle School

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Grantees will assist permanent teaching staff at the University of Malta and at Maltese primary and secondary schools. In 2021-2022, Post will assign ETAs to work part, or all, of the time on the sister island of Gozo, which is accessible by ferry. Not many international educators visit Gozo, and Gozitan teachers and students must travel to Malta to participate in international conferences or workshops. Post is committed to working with the schools in Gozo to bridge the gap and ensure that the Gozitan students have the opportunity to benefit from the ETA program and from contact with U.S. teaching assistants, and the ETAs will likewise benefit from interacting with the less-accessed schools, teachers, and students in Gozo. Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the U.S. Embassy, Malta’s Ministry of Education, and the University of Malta. The Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) Program aims to strengthen English language and English/American studies instruction at Maltese educational institutions by providing a fluent-speaker presence in the classroom, between 12 and 16 teaching hours per week. The ETA program placement and schedule may vary from one academic year to the next.

In addition to their English Teaching Assistant activities, grantees may enroll in academic courses each semester, if the assignment permits such activity, or engage in independent research related to their fields of study. These activities, combined with the Teaching Assistant responsibilities, will comprise a full-time program. Each host institution will tailor the assistantship to its language teaching needs and the grantee’s background and academic interests. 

ETAs will also have the opportunity to perform volunteer work in addition to regular teaching duties. Some volunteer options include working with young Maltese children outside school hours and with local NGOs engaged in teaching English to third-country refugees and asylum seekers resident in Malta. English instruction for refugees and asylum seekers will promote their integration into Maltese society and/or prepare them for resettlement in other countries. These volunteer activities will be secondary to the primary activity of assistant teaching.

Special Application Instructions

ETAs need a visa to travel to Malta. They must contact the Embassy of Malta in Washington, D.C., several months before their program in Malta commences to start the visa application process. 


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

U.S. Embassy