Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

1 Fulbright/NAF Fellowship in Flood Management

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

This Fellowship is limited to research related to flooding. Other water management areas, such as managing municipal water supplies, are not supported by this Fellowship.

Grant Period

9 Months

Grants must begin by September 1.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation

Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels will be considered. Preference will be given to those with coursework in civil engineering. Applicants should have attained their undergraduate core technical skills already, but will want to complement these with a graduate multidisciplinary study of water management aspects, such as:

  1. Assessment of flooding risks (e.g. analysis of hydraulics of coastal and riverine flooding, analysis of flooding probabilities and consequences, determining acceptable flooding risks in relation to other natural disasters; distributing risks to minimize damage; effects of climate change; assessing economic, social, environmental, and/or cultural damages using studies conducted by insurance companies; insurability);
  2. Spatial planning in flood-prone areas (e.g., the use of simulation hydraulic modeling tools applied to complicated interdependent resource management choices);
  3. Mitigating flood impact and flood risk reduction (e.g. measures such as room for rivers, coastal interventions and flood defence schemes, influencing land development of flood-prone areas through legislation; developing of evacuation plans and disaster management).

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Dutch language proficiency is not required, but is useful at the time of arrival. Some study of Dutch prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community. University lectures are in both English and Dutch.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


The TU Delft is a large technical university and the grantee must be prepared to be an independent researcher. There is no formal structure to support Fulbright grantees, so it is important for applicants to arrange beforehand where and with whom they intent to work with and include a letter of affiliation with the application.

The grantee should be placed with the TU Delft Deltas, Infrastructures and Mobility Initiative.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

As a researcher at TU Delft, you will not have to pay tuition fees. Please view the grant amounts.


U.S. students currently residing in the Netherlands will not be considered for any awards to the Netherlands.

In addition, U.S. students with both U.S. and Dutch citizenship will not be considered. 

Candidates who will receive a PhD degree by the grant start date are not eligible for consideration.

Special Application Instructions

In your Fulbright online application, for Award Name please select NAF Flood Management from the drop down menu.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Linda Pietersen

Additional Online Resources

Delft University of Technology website