Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

12 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Of the 12 Fulbright study/research grants, approximately 10 are provided by the Netherland-America Foundation, which seeks to maintain and strengthen the ties between the Netherlands and the United States. These grants are called the Netherland-America Foundation/Fulbright Grants. Some Netherland-America Foundation/Fulbright Grants have specific requirements or field restrictions, and they have a separate description (Flood Management and Pedriatic Cancer). The remaining grants can be in any field. Please review the information below for complete details. 

Grant Period

9 Months

Grants must begin by September 1, so that the grantees can attend the first orientation meeting which will be held at the beginning of September. The grants for specific universities may have a longer duration than 9 months, please review the specific grant information per grant. 

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

The Commission will give preference to applications from graduate students whose projects involve full-time graduate study, or combine research and advanced graduate courses and seminars at Dutch universities, conservatories and art schools. Students working toward their Ph.D. degrees who can carry out well-formulated independent research projects will also be considered.

Applicants planning to do an independent research project immediately after receiving a Bachelor's degree should have a significant amount of research experience.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Dutch language proficiency is not required if the applicant is planning to do an English language Master, but is useful at the time of arrival. Some study of Dutch prior to arrival is encouraged to promote deeper engagement with the host community. In case Dutch language proficiency is required for the research project of the applicant, please indicate the level of proficiency achieved by the applicant in the project statement. 

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliations. An affiliation letter should be included in the application in case of a research project. In case of an application for a Master program, a letter of admission, rather than an affiliation letter, should be added. Most likely, due to the later application cycles at Dutch universities, applicants may not be able to secure a letter of admission before the deadline of the Fulbright grant application. If this is the case, the letter can be provided at a later date. 

Due to the Dutch residence permit laws, all candidates need to be affiliated with an institute that has legal status to apply for a residence permit on the candidate's behalf. All universities, conservatories and most research institutes fall into this category. 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Applicants should be aware that tuition waivers or reductions are rarely given. Tuition fee waivers are at the discretion of Dutch educational institutions, and applicants are responsible for requesting waivers. In the event a fee waiver or reduction is not granted, candidates should be aware that the Fulbright grant does not provide the cost of these fees. Some of the grants for specific universities will include a tuition waiver. 

Please see this link for grant amounts.


U.S. students currently residing in the Netherlands will not be considered for any awards to the Netherlands.

In addition, U.S. students with both U.S. and Dutch citizenship will not be considered. 


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Linda Pietersen