Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

12 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

10 Months

Grants will begin in August. Norwegian universities hold orientation programs in mid-August. A mandatory Fulbright orientation will be held for all grantees in August shortly after the university orientations.

Alternative project timelines are only acceptable for Ph.D. candidates who will be in Norway for less than 10 months.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Well-qualified candidates at all graduate degree levels will be considered. Candidates must be mature, self-motivated individuals who are capable of working independently with little supervision. Projects can be either full-time study, independent research, or a combination of independent research and advanced courses or seminars. Issues of feasibility should be thoroughly addressed in the Statement of Grant Purpose. Examples include language barriers, access to equipment and/or datasets, institutional review board approval, and cultural sensitivities. NB Fulbright grants are sufficient to cover a grantee’s living expenses in Norway, but not much more. Please note that no additional funding is provided for translators, lab fees, equipment, supplies, or travel for fieldwork. Proposals are welcome from candidates in all disciplines; see special opportunities below.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Norwegian language proficiency is not required, unless necessary for successful completion of the proposed project.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


All applicants are required to have an affiliation in Norway. Affiliations can be with any research, educational or creative group or organization that will facilitate the project. However, all applicants, including artists, are strongly encouraged to seek affiliation with a Norwegian university or college, as this offers benefits in securing housing, student status, and workspace. Grants are for study and/or research at one or two locations. They are not sufficient to cover extensive in-country travel. If the proposed project entails study and/or research in two locations, a letter of affiliation is required from one host in each place. An evaluation/comment on the feasibility of the proposed project from a Norwegian host or hosts is essential and should be addressed in your letter(s) of affiliation. This is especially important if your plans involve independent research. Host interest is a key factor in determining who will be awarded a grant. Applicants who clear the US selection process should be advised that their hosts will be contacted by the Fulbright commission in Norway for additional feedback and a reaffirmation of their commitment to host the grantee. Such reaffirmation is an important factor in the Commission’s selection of applicants; if there is no response from your host(s), you will not be considered for a grant.

N.B.  All applicants wanting to study or conduct research at UNIS must have an additional affiliation at a mainland Norwegian university.

Information on all Norwegian institutions of higher learning can be found at the website for The Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT).

Applicants should also be aware that the Research Council of Norway has identified a number of Norwegian Centers of Excellence and Centers of Research-Based Innovation, in a variety of fields. See for more information.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Students who plan to pursue a degree should not expect admission to the degree program or institution prior to applying for a Fulbright grant and therefore are not expected to include a letter of admission with their applications. However, a letter with an evaluation/comment on the feasibility of the proposed project from the Norwegian host or hosts is still required. 

All candidates based at a Norwegian institution of higher education must eventually have an official affiliation. Students who plan to pursue degrees should apply formally to the Norwegian institution before its deadline.

Norway is one of the few countries where higher education remains largely tuition-free. With the exception of a nominal enrollment fee, Fulbright students at public universities need only pay for books if they take courses.

Please know that private universities may charge substantial tuition fees. Fulbright does not adjust the stipend to cover the cost of attending a private university.


Dual U.S./Norwegian citizens are not eligible for consideration.

In addition, candidates already living in Norway, including students who have commenced their studies at a Norwegian university, are not eligible for consideration.

Note about Dependent Support

Limited extra support for up to three dependents is provided. Be advised, however, that this sum is not sufficient to meet income requirements for family member residence permits. The grantee and/or his/her family member(s) should therefore be prepared to supplement the Fulbright grant with personal funds or proof of employment during the grant period.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Rena Levin