Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

10 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Awards are granted through a competition open to students and alumni of U.S. higher education institutions to co-teach and teach practical and specialized English language classes at higher education institutions, research institutes, Polish Academy of Science units, international scientific institutes, and other scientific units and educational institutions in Poland. 

Number of grants: up to 10 (subject to available funds).

For more information on the competition, please refer to the local Award Regulations available on the Polish-U.S. Fulbright Commission website.

Grant Period

9 Months

Awards are offerred for 9 months.

Grants are usually expected to start in October 2021 (beginning of the academic year) and end in June 2022.

Participation in the Fulbright Commission Orientation, Thanksgiving, Mid-Year, and End-of-Year meetings is mandatory.

The grantee may apply for a renewal for the following academic year.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation


End of September 2021.

Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels will be considered, but master and doctoral level students and graduates in the sciences (e.g. chemistry, biology, engineering, math) or humanities (e.g. linguistics and teaching English as a foreign language) will be given preference. Candidates may be pursuing their doctoral degree but cannot hold a doctoral degree at the time of application.

All fields are suitable but current English as a foreign language needs of Polish universities are in the sciences (including chemistry, biology, engineering, math), social studies (including economics), and humanities (including linguistics). Grantees usually teach students in bachelor's/master's programs.

Preferred candidates will also demonstrate the skills and willingness to promote U.S. higher education among Polish students.

Previous teaching experience is strongly recommended. Applicants should submit detailed descriptions of their experience and interest in teaching.

The Fulbright Commission recommends that applicants familiarize themselves with Poland and its contemporary situation, culture, and education system before applying. 

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Knowledge of the Polish language is not a formal requirement, but some Polish language proficiency is recommended. Applicants are encouraged to study the Polish language prior to arrival in order to facilitate their deeper engagement with the host community during the grant period.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

The Fulbright Commission will place grantees in various departments at Polish universities, matching their undergraduate or graduate fields to the needs of the host institutions, to teach ESL and/or specialized English as required.

Details of assignments will be subject to direct communication between the selected candidate and the designated department of the Polish university. Positions combine part-time teaching and/or assisting of up to 14 hours per week and office hours of up to 4 hours per week. Time will be also reserved for an independent study/research project.

In addition to classroom responsibilities, grantees may be requested to lead programs in language labs, conduct English conversation clubs, proofread, tutor, participate in sports, language or drama clubs and volunteer at local organizations.

Additional grant activities: In addition to their primary teaching activities, grantees are expected to support the Fulbright Commission and the mission of the Fulbright Program by delivering presentations, seminars, and workshops on U.S. higher education and culture. The grantee will also have the opportunity to participate in seminars organized by other Fulbright Commissions in Europe (e.g. EU Seminar, Berlin Seminar).

Dependent Funding

Travel allowance: $1,500 (per person), one-time payment for a dependent family member(s), provided that s/he accompanies the grantee for at least 80% of the grant period and was listed as a dependent at the time of application

Dependent Allowance: $250 (per person), monthly allowance for a dependent family member(s), provided that s/he accompanies the grantee for at least 80% of the grant period and was listed as a dependent at the time of application


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Justyna Maziarska-Lesisz