Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

3 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistants Program aims to strengthen English language instruction and knowledge of the United States in Portugal through the presence of highly motivated native speakers of English.

Number of grants to award is 3 to 5, depending on availability of funds. 

Grant Period

9 Months

The grant period is October through June.

Grantees are required to attend a mandatory on-site orientation in Lisbon, in late September, before the beginning of their grant.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from candidates at all degree levels who have completed a Bachelor's degree before the start date of the grant.

While the assistantship is open to all fields of study, preference will be given to candidates with an educational background in the Humanities.

Previous teaching experience is recommended but not mandatory. 

Candidates should have a demonstrated interest in working with international students.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Portuguese language proficiency is strongly recommended. Some study of Portuguese language and culture prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Activities may include:

1) assisting in classroom tutorials;

2) providing educational advising to local students interested in studying in the United States; 

3) giving presentations related to American studies in English at community organizations.

Other activities are possible as the host institution will tailor the assistantship to its needs and to the ETA's interests and abilities.

The Fulbright ETA is also expected to collaborate with the Fulbright Commission, in outreach and educational advising activities.

English Teaching Assistants are placed by the Portuguese Fulbright Commission in Higher Education Institutions, which apply to host Fulbright ETAs on a separate competition.

The Host Institution will provide meals and accommodation for the entire period of stay. The host will also provide a full tuition waiver to a Course in Portuguese Language and Culture and/or to other courses of the grantee's interest at the institution.


Applicants living in Portugal at the time of the application are not eligible for consideration.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Dora Reis Arenga, U.S. Program Manager

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.