Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

1 Fulbright/Luso-American Foundation Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
8 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

The Fulbright/Luso-American Foundation Study/Research Grant is designed to give American citizens opportunities for personal development through cultural exchange. Projects may include university coursework, independent library or field research, or a combination of these.

Grant Period

8 Months

The grant period is October through May.

Grantees will be required to attend a mandatory on-site orientation in Lisbon at the beginning of their grant period.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from candidates at all degree levels who have completed a Bachelor's degree before the start date of the grant.

All fields of study are considered.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Portuguese language proficiency is strongly recommended, commensurate with the proposed project, by the beginning of the grant period.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Candidates are responsible for arranging their own host affiliation and are expected to submit letters of support/affiliation with their applications. Fulbright grantees may register as special students, and thus be able to attend courses relevant to their projects.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The students may enroll in courses related to their projects but are responsible for the payment of any tuition fees associated.


Applicants living in Portugal are not eligible for consideration.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.