Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

3 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

The academic year usually begins in September/October 2021 and ends in May/June 2022, but some universities start earlier than others do.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation in summer 2021 as a condition of their grants.

Arrival Orientation


A mandatory in-country group orientation will be provided by the U.S. Embassy in Kigali.

Candidate Profile

Graduating seniors or graduate students with an undergraduate degree in English or Education who are considering careers in English, Education, or TEFL/applied linguistics and who have experience teaching or tutoring will be considered. Other fields will be considered if combined with teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy. Candidates with an interest in African languages, culture, and history are also encouraged to apply.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

English is sufficient. Knowledge of French or Kinyarwanda can be helpful.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Other Educational Institution

Placement will be made by the U.S. Embassy at technical colleges, universities, and/or other educational institutions.

Nature of Assignment

Approximately 20 hours per week assisting university professors in their classrooms, plus requisite class preparation time and school-related activities, will be required. ETAs may assist with: developing communication modules; training academic and administrative staff; and assisting lecturers with their research, lesson plans, and course presentations to improve the English for academic reading and writing skills of university undergraduates for whom English is both a second language and the medium of instruction at school. ETAs will be assigned as language-learning assistants, but may be asked to be responsible for teaching entire courses. Occasionally, the U.S. Embassy may invite ETAs to participate in English program activities. 


The U.S. Embassy will work with host institutions to assist ETAs in identifying and securing housing.

Visas and Work Permits

Information on visas and work permits is available on the website linked here. The U.S. Embassy supports approved grantees in the visa application process.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

U.S. Embassy Kigali, Public Affairs Section