Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants will begin between the summer of 2021 and March 2022, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone. (Note: this is good timing for research students to be able to meet local professors and engage undergraduate students as assistants if needed. Most universities start vacations in May, November and March.)

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2021.

Candidate Profile

Ph.D. and Master’s degree candidates who plan to conduct dissertation research are preferred.

Candidates must present serious projects in line with U.S. Embassy strategic priorities as follows: public health (cervical cancer, TB, diabetes, obesity, drug abuse, mental health, HIV/AIDS; teaching hospital staffing and operation); security and stability (regional security capacity, anti-poaching, human/wildlife conflict, sustainable and economically-beneficial management of natural resources); heritage preservation; civil society strengthening, particularly with respect to a free and vibrant media or the human rights of key populations; technical and vocational education; regional economic communities (SADC); economic diversification; regional economic integration; and foreign direct investment.

All candidates must be mature and able to carry out independent research projects. Collaboration with local institutions and individuals is encouraged. Grantees are required to report their project progress to the U.S. Embassy on a quarterly basis and to consider themselves part of the ongoing U.S. Mission program.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Although English is the official language, Setswana or other local languages may be needed for research conducted in rural areas.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an appropriate institution in Botswana. Candidates must affiliate with local colleges and universities, research institutions, and NGOs, and include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. The U.S. Embassy may be able to advise candidates about organizations that match their research interests.

Prospective host institutions include:

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Some academic institutions may charge professional fees for a local professor/advisor working with the grantee.

Grantees planning to credit/audit some courses need to check fees and student requirements directly with the institutions before they make financial commitments.

Grantees are advised to verify with their home institutions if there are no existing collaborations with the prospective hosts before they pay affiliation fees. 

Research Clearance

Candidates must obtain research approval from the Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs or the relevant Ministry prior to conducting their research. Applications for research clearance normally take several months to process. Since the research clearance process is easier with the support of an affiliate institution, regular communication with the prospective affiliation is strongly recommended four months prior to arrival in Botswana.

For additional information on the research clearance process, contact the Educational Attache, Embassy of the Republic of Botswana, or visit the website linked here for more information and application forms. You may also contact the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs (Research Permits), Private Bag 002, Gaborone, Botswana.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Naomi Tshosa

Additional Online Resources

Embassy Facebook Page