Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

Slovak Republic

< Back to country

8 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

10 Months

10 months, September 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022.

The grant period will start in agreement with the host institution and with the academic year at the respective host institution.

The Fulbright Commission organizes a mandatory 4-day orientation program in mid-September that includes training on methodology and strategies in teaching English at Slovak secondary schools and a mid-year conference at the end of January.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from graduating seniors and young professionals who are interested in teaching TEFL/Applied Linguistics, American studies, American literature, arts, political science and international education. Previous teaching experience is welcomed. Graduates in STEM sciences with teaching experience will be also considered. Positions require teaching approximately 15-18 hours per week.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Candidates must be articulate fluent English-speakers. Slovak language proficiency is not required, but is an advantage. Some study of Slovak langugage prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Placement Type

Secondary School

Grantees will be placed as English Teaching Assistants at Slovak secondary schools corresponding to their qualifications and experience. Details of assignments will develop from direct communication between selected candidates and designated host institutions based on the academic profile of the selected candidate, the school’s needs, and the grantee’s possible research or study interests. The Fulbright Commission will assist with the arrangements.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website