Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

Slovak Republic

< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

9 Months

Grants are for 9 months beginning in mid-September and ending in mid-June.

The Fulbright Commission organizes a mandatory 4-day orientation program in September and a mid-year conference at the end of January.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Advanced graduate students capable of working independently are preferred. Applicants at the Bachelor’s level will only be considered for proposals in the Arts and Humanities. Applicants should demonstrate adequate experience in the proposed field of research or study.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information: Knowledge of Slovak language is required to successfully complete study or research plans in fields such as Slovak literature, language, history, anthropology, political science, etc.

Slovak language summer school in the Slovak Republic can be arranged for those applicants whose projects require high Slovak language proficiency.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants proposing independent research must provide communication with the respective scholar or tutor to ensure the feasibility of the project and availability of resources. Letter(s) of invitation from their prospective tutor or host institution are very much encouraged.

If applicants are applying for study programs at Slovak universities, they can apply for study programs in Slovak language or English language instruction where offered. Graduate programs with Slovak instruction do not charge tuition.

If needed, the Fulbright Commission in the Slovak Republic can assist in establishing contacts. There are also comparable opportunities for study or independent study at all Slovak institutions of higher education outside of Bratislava, including Nitra, Zilina, Košice, Prešov, Banská Bystrica, and at Research Institutes of the Slovak Academy of Sciences.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The Fulbright Commission will help to cover fees for graduate study or research if they occur.


Applicants with no previous academic or professional experience in the Slovak Republic will be preferred.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website