Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Grants begin in October and end in June.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in June or July as a condition of their grant.

Arrival Orientation

Candidate Profile

Graduate-level students (Master's and above) who are able and willing to undertake very independent research projects in their degree field are preferred.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Original, strong academic research by U.S. Fulbright students in Slovenia in the humanities and social sciences cannot be carried out without a strong working knowledge of the Slovenian language, as the availability of primary data in these fields in English is not generally available. Knowledge of Slovenian language is less of an issue for projects in the field of fine arts, music, and photography. For candidates in these fields, knowledge of the Slovenian language is not required.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Preliminary contacts and letters of affiliation from host institutions are desired, but not required, at the time of application. However, U.S. Fulbrighters must submit evidence of an affiliation at least three months before arriving in Slovenia.

Universities are organized according to the European system. Below are the websites of Slovenian public universities:

University of Ljubljana

University of Maribor

University of Primorska   

For information about research institutes or other independent/private institutions, contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovenia.


Candidates currently residing in Slovenia and dual U.S./Slovenian citizens are not eligible to apply. 

Special Application Instructions

Visa Requirements

For periods exceeding 90 days and up to one year, the most appropriate visa for Fulbright participants is the “Visa D”. This visa is issued to persons entering the Republic of Slovenia for specific, legislatively prescribed purposes: education, family reunification, diplomatic accreditation, business people or academics because of the national interest, professional athletes and coaches, reporters and priests or humanitarian workers.

However, grantees coming to Slovenia with dependents do not fall under the above category, and must apply for a Residency permit.

Housing Allowance

The Slovenian Government provides a local currency stipend toward the cost of housing. 


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Ivanka Ponikvar, Exchanges Specialist