Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants will begin between September 2021 and March 2022, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Kigali and confirmation of the host institution. Grantees are welcome to negotiate with their hosts the grant period that is most convenient.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2021 as a condition of their grants.

Arrival Orientation

No Arrival Orientation

In the weeks preceeding their arrival in Rwanda, each grantee should schedule with the Embassy the time and date of their check-in and security briefing - which should ideally take place within their first three days in the country.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Kinyarwanda or French may be useful for certain projects.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant's responsibility to secure affiliation with an educational or research institution. It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. Obtaining research clearance from the National Council for Science and Technology (NCST) is nearly impossible if the grantee does not have affiliation with a local research institution. Affiliation is also needed for obtaining the long-term visa required of foreign researchers in Rwanda. 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Educational and research institutions do not currently charge fees for affiliation, but it is the Fulbright grantee's responsibility to double-check this with their selected host institutions.

Visas and Research Permits

Information on visas is available on the Rwanda Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration website. The National Council for Science and Technology (NCST) issues research permits. It is important to note that a long-term stay visa will not be approved for students who do not have a research permit. Detailed information on the research permit application is available here.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

U.S. Embassy Kigali, Public Affairs Section