Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

10 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

9 Months

Grantees are expected to schedule their academic programs to coincide with the Swedish academic year (September 2021 - May 2022) while exact arrival and departure times may vary.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation


In mid-September.

Candidate Profile

Well-qualified candidates at all degree levels are welcome to apply, doctoral candidates up to the dissertation level. Fulbright grantees undertake one year of instruction or conduct research at a Swedish university or research center. Information on studying in Sweden and Swedish institutions of higher education can be found at

Consideration will be given to clearly-defined projects requiring a student’s presence in Sweden. Grantees are expected to attend the welcome orientation held in September and to participate in the activities organized during the year by the Commission. They should also be prepared to serve as active representatives of the US and the Fulbright program during their time in Sweden.

At-large candidates may be subject to an interview.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Swedish language proficiency is not required. Some study of Swedish prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Grantees at a Swedish institution of higher education are expected to conduct full-time study or research and must have a suitable academic adviser.

Grantees conducting independent research must be affiliated with a Swedish university or college, research institute, governmental agency, or other acceptable organization. Please see the Fulbright website to access “Guidelines for Prospective Host Affiliations and Advisors” at

It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with a Swedish university or research center. While it is not necessary to have finalized affiliation arrangements at the time of application, grantees must submit evidence of affiliation before applying for the resident permit.

Degree-seeking students must submit a copy of their admission letter to the Swedish Fulbright Commission;, as soon as they receive it from the Swedish university (usually in March/April). Degree-seeking students who are not admitted to their proposed program cannot be considered for the grant.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Swedish universities and institutes of higher education charge tuition for foreign students from outside the European Union. While research activities carried out in Sweden by U.S. students will usually remain free of charge*, grantees coming to Sweden to conduct coursework or enroll in a degree program will most likely be required to pay tuition. Tuition waivers and scholarships may be available at the discretion of the individual universities. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the university directly regarding all tuition and other financial matters.

Tuition and any research costs are not covered by the Fulbright grant. Further information concerning funding for study in Sweden can be found at:

* Some institutions may require US doctoral candidates intending to conduct research to show proof of financial support in addition to that provided by the Fulbright grant and should contact their host advisor for details.


U.S. citizens currently residing in Sweden are ineligible for consideration.

Additional Information

Accomodation is not provided for grantees. Please note that finding accommodation as a student or researcher at a Swedish university is difficult. It can prove to be one of the greatest challenges facing incoming grantees. 

Fulbright grantees are encouraged as early as possible to check the relevant websites for housing alternatives, to make inquiries to their Swedish academic advisors as well as contact current Fulbright grantees for any tips they may have. Many university housing offices allow students to register in their queue systems prior to being formally admitted into the university and some university housing offices have waiting lists of up to one year. Applicants should not wait until formal notification of the grant to place their names on the waiting list. Students planning to live and conduct coursework in Stockholm should register at: Other websites that advertise short-term housing off campus are:,, and the online news source in English at

Further questions regarding this program should be addressed to Maria Carle, Program Officer at the Commission at


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Maria Carle