Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

6 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

The grant starts with the beginning of the academic year at the host institution, usually in mid-September 2021 and ends in June 2022.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to participate in a pre-departure orientation in June or July as a condition of their grant.

Arrival Orientation


After Labor Day, by September 10.

Candidate Profile

Well-rounded, articulate candidates at all degree levels with an interest in international education and the initiative to assistant-teach conversational English at all levels will be considered. Undergraduate degrees in the humanities and the social sciences, with a focus on English, American studies, film studies, media and communications, or education, are preferred. Successful candidates will not just be teaching English, but presenting on American culture and advising on educational opportunities in the United States to local citizens. Previous teaching experience is not required, but is helpful. Applicants must be fluent English-speakers. Semi-finalist candidates will be interviewed via Skype in February.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: Knowledge of Ukrainian or Russian is helpful, but not required.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Placement is primarily at universities. Grantees will assistant-teach under the supervision of an experienced English instructor and will serve as a resource for conversation, vocabulary, and reading and writing courses. Grantees may also be involved with some educational advising and outreach.

Please note that security considerations may restrict placement options in certain cities and regions. Placements will be arranged by the Fulbright Office in Kyiv.

Supplementary Project

Grantees are expected to engage in other activities related to their personal, career, and/or educational interests. This may be an independent study/research project or other activity that will not conflict with assigned assistant-teaching and advising responsibilities. Applicants should include a brief description of their supplementary project in their Statement of Grant Purpose.


Candidates with dual U.S.-Ukrainian citizenship must give up their Ukrainian citizenship if they are selected for and accept a Fulbright Grant to Ukraine.

Grantees who were born in Soviet Ukraine or independent Ukraine (post-1991) and are now naturalized U.S. citizens, and have entered the U.S. on post-1991 passports of independent Ukraine, will be required to show proof that they have formally renounced their Ukrainian citizenship. Otherwise, they will not be issued a Ukrainian visa, as the Ukrainian government will still consider them Ukrainian citizens, and they will not be able to stay in Ukraine beyond a period of 90 days out of 180 days from their first arrival in Ukraine. Grantees who left Ukraine and entered the U.S. before 1991 on passports issued by Soviet Ukraine will not have a problem receiving a Ukrainian visa and will not be required to renounce their Ukrainian citizenship, as they have never held citizenship in independent Ukraine. However, if grantees entered the U.S. after 1991 on a valid passport issued by Soviet Ukraine, the Ukrainian government will still consider them Ukrainian citizens, as all valid Soviet Ukraine passports automatically became valid Ukrainian passports after independent Ukraine came into being.

The procedure to renounce Ukrainian citizenship can take up to a year and requires the signature of the President of Ukraine. Those who can provide official documentation to demonstrate they have started the process can be issued a visa. For more information, please contact an official at the Ukrainian Embassy in the United States or a senior Consular official at your designated Consulate-General office to make sure that this is, in fact, the proper procedure to acquire your visa.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Inna Barysh