Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

10 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to participate in a pre-departure orientation in June or July of 2021 as a condition of their grant.

Arrival Orientation


Arrival orientation will be after Labor Day, by September 10.

Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels will be considered, but master's and doctoral students will be given priority consideration. Candidates capable of working independently are encouraged. Applications in political science, public policy, history, architecture and urban studies, arts, media and communication studies, ethnic and minority issues, environmental studies, multidisciplinary studies, women's studies, sociology, and international education are particularly welcome. Semi-finalist candidates will be interviewed via Skype in February 2021.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: Language proficiency commensurate with the requirements of the project and sufficient to carry out the proposed course of study or research is expected by the beginning of the award. Ukrainian is preferable and Russian is useful.

Ukrainian language study (at cost) is available at most institutions and can be arranged for those applicants whose projects would require higher language proficiency. The Fulbright Office in Ukraine can organize Ukrainian language training on an individual basis. Please note that additional personal funds will be needed to cover costs for individual lessons or study with private teachers. If U.S. government funds allow, an additional stipend of $500 may be available for Ukrainian language courses.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Pre-arrangement of institutional affiliation is encouraged, but not required. When applicants do not indicate a host institution, the Fulbright Office in Ukraine will seek the most appropriate placement and can assist in establishing contacts at appropriate institutions. An applicant’s institutional preferences are taken into account, but the Fulbright Office reserves the right to place candidates at other institutions, if necessary. Applicants in the fine arts are encouraged to establish contact with specialists in their fields before applying for a grant and to request invitations to study with them.

All grantees will be affiliated with accredited academic or research institutions in Ukraine. Grantees are welcome to attend classes at their own cost. By individual arrangement, it is possible to earn a Ukrainian university degree during the period of the grant, also at the grantee's own cost. The Fulbright Office in Ukraine facilitates university enrollment at the applicant’s preferred institution if degree courses are available. Academic courses are taught in Ukrainian, but some universities also offer courses in English. Supervision by English-speaking professors is available at most universities.

Please note that security considerations may restrict placement options in certain cities and regions. Final placements will be subject to approval by the Fulbright Office and the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv. 


Candidates with dual U.S.-Ukrainian citizenship must give up their Ukrainian citizenship if they are selected for and accept a Fulbright Grant to Ukraine.

Grantees who were born in Soviet Ukraine or independent Ukraine (post-1991) and are now naturalized U.S. citizens, and have entered the U.S. on post-1991 passports of independent Ukraine, will be required to show proof that they have formally renounced their Ukrainian citizenship. Otherwise, they will not be issued a Ukrainian visa, as the Ukrainian government will still consider them Ukrainian citizens, and they will not be able to stay in Ukraine beyond a period of 90 days out of 180 days from their first arrival in Ukraine. Grantees who left Ukraine and entered the U.S. before 1991 on passports issued by Soviet Ukraine will not have a problem receiving a Ukrainian visa and will not be required to renounce their Ukrainian citizenship, as they have never held citizenship in independent Ukraine. However, if grantees entered the U.S. after 1991 on a valid passport issued by Soviet Ukraine, the Ukrainian government will still consider them Ukrainian citizens, as all valid Soviet Ukraine passports automatically became valid Ukrainian passports after independent Ukraine came into being.

The procedure to renounce Ukrainian citizenship can take up to a year and requires the signature of the President of Ukraine. Those who can provide official documentation to demonstrate they have started the process can be issued a visa. For more information, please contact an official at the Ukrainian Embassy in the United States or a senior Consular official at your designated Consulate-General office to make sure that this is, in fact, the proper procedure to acquire your visa.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Inna Barysh