Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants begin between August 2021 and March 2022, subject to approval by the U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2021.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Although English is the official language, knowledge of a local language or pidgin English may be needed for certain projects.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


The U.S. Mission to Nigeria has an Embassy in Abuja and a Consulate General in Lagos. Responsibility for support to Fulbrighters is divided between the two offices geographically. For the Lagos office, possible host institutions are:

·         University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State

·         Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State

·         Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos State

·         University of Nigeria, Nsukka (and Enugu campus), Enugu State

·         Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State

·         Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State

·         Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State

·         University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State

·         University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State

·         University of Lagos, Lagos, Lagos State

·         Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State

·         Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State

While the University of Port Harcourt in Port Harcourt and Delta State University in Abraka are Fulbright partner institutions, affiliations with these two schools are not possible at this time due to ongoing security and logistical concerns.

For the Abuja office, possible host institutions are:

·         University of Abuja, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory

·         Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State

·         Bayero University, Kano, Kano State

·         Benue State University, Makurdi, Benue State

·         University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara State

·         University of Jos, Jos, Plateau State

·         Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto, Sokoto State

·         Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State

·         Baze University, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory

·         Kaduna State University

·         Veritas University, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory

·         Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory

As a result of the current insecurity in the North East region of Nigeria, affiliations are not possible with the American University of Nigeria in Yola and University of Maiduguri in Borno State.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an appropriate host institution. It is strongly recommended that candidates identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.

Field of Study Restrictions

Projects involving the laboratory sciences are discouraged because most Nigerian universities have inadequate laboratory equipment for students, and conducting science experiments is often difficult as a result.

Specific Considerations

Candidates with projects in the Niger Delta and certain parts of Northern Nigeria will not be considered due to acute logistical and security concerns.

Visa Requirements

While not required at the time of application, candidates should note that written consent from the Vice Chancellor of the affiliate university is necessary for their visas. A visa will not be issued by the Nigerian Embassy/Consulate until the Vice Chancellor’s letter is received.

Incoming Fulbrighters should apply for an STR visa and should not enter Nigeria with a business visa or tourist visa. The documents needed for the STR visa application include the Fulbright letter of award, degrees/certificates, and a curriculum vita. Grantees are not required to provide expatriate quota evidence in their visa application since they will not be working. The STR visas are subject to regularization at the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) Headquarters while in Nigeria.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Clemson Ayegbusi

Additional Online Resources

Bella Anne Ndubuisi