Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbrighters are encouraged to begin their grants in late January 2022. Most Namibian institutions close down during November and December for the Christmas break (and in preparation thereof), meaning that getting things done during those two months can be a challenge. Namibian institutions generally start in earnest in late January/early February, so beginning the grant then can prevent losing valuable research time.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2021.

Arrival Orientation

No Arrival Orientation

In the weeks preceeding their arrival in Namibia, each grantee should schedule with the Embassy the time and date of their check-in and security briefing - which should ideally take place within their first three days in the country.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: English is sufficient, unless knowledge of an indigenous language is necessary for the successful completion of the project.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation. It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

A research fee may be required. Applicants are advised to consult with their host institutions about whether one will be needed for their research. This should be done at least three months in advance in order to allow sufficient time to obtain the research permit.

Visas and Research/Work Permits

Fulbrighters should request assistance from their host institutions in securing research permits and clearances from the Ministry of Home Affairs. The Government of the Republic of Namibia requires Fulbright researchers to procure a work/research permit 30 days prior to arrival - and Namibian law states that grantees should not arrive without work permits.   

Fulbrighters should also submit their visa applications (with all of the relevant documents) to the Ministry of Home Affairs through their host institutions at least three months prior to their arrival in the country.

In cases where visas have not been issued in a timely fashion, grantees need to consult with the host institution to work out a contingency plan. Grantees should be in contact with host institutions early and often, since late issuances have been a problem in the past. 


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

George Beukes