Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

140 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant program in Germany helps to improve the teaching of the English language and American studies at all types of German schools and aims to strengthen educational and cultural relationships between the United States and Germany. English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) usually cooperate closely with a German teacher of English and take over certain responsibilities in the classroom, especially with regard to projects on the U.S. ETAs also are expected to engage closely with their surrounding community. They are placed in different kinds of schools in large and small communities, in cities and rural areas, many with diverse student populations. In this program Fulbright Germany cooperates with the Pädagogischer Austauschdienst in Bonn (PAD) and the 16 Bundesländer in Germany. For most grantees, the stipend to cover living costs will be provided by the respective host-Bundesland. Fulbright Germany provides the cost-of-living stipend in specific cases. The ETA program in Germany offers a unique opportunity for ETAs to advance their teaching skills and immerse themselves in the educational and cultural environments in Germany. See what our alumni have to report in the “Our Fulbrighters” section of the Fulbright Germany website:

Grant Period

10 Months

September 2021 to the end of June 2022.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation


Early September 2021.

Candidate Profile

Candidates should be well-rounded, adaptable, and communicative individuals with the skills and motivation needed to assist in teaching the English language and American studies to German students at all pre-university levels. These grants are especially suited for students of German (e.g., German studies/literature/history). Applicants from other academic fields will be considered if they have adequate German proficiency. US English Teaching Assistants are expected to work independently in a wide variety of institutional settings all over Germany. They are assigned to different kinds of schools in communities large and small, in metropolitan and rural areas, many with diverse student populations. They must be resilient self-starters and have the capacity to negotiate cultural differences and respond to challenges that arise on a day-to-day basis.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: At least 2 years of college-level study of German, or the equivalent, is required prior to commencing the grant.

Even though the language of instruction will usually be English, intermediate to advanced German skills are essential for communication outside the classroom, be it with other teachers, parents or school administrators, as well as the contacts in the host community that are not related to the host school.

Placement Type

Elementary School

Middle School

Secondary School

Grantees will be placed as Teaching Assistants in English classes in all types of German schools, in different institutional and regional settings, in large and small communities. These may include school types that are not as widely known, for example: Berufskolleg/Berufschule; Haupt- and Realschule; Fachhochschule; Montessori Grund- and Oberschule; and Gemeindeschule. Teaching Assistants help English teachers in the classroom approximately 12 hours per week. The assignment might include team-teaching a lesson with an English teacher, discussing a topic from the textbook with a small group of students, engaging in one-on-one conversation practice with students, helping all or part of a class review for a test, or designing and teaching a unit on an aspect of US culture or a current event. Activities will vary depending upon the needs of the students and teachers. The assignment may also include week-long class trips or short excursions.


US citizens/passport holders who also have German citizenship cannot be considered.

Special Application Instructions

In the Statement of Grant Purpose, applicants should indicate up to 3 German states/Bundesländer where they would prefer to be placed. Please also list your preferred German states in the Host City/Region question at the beginning of the Fulbright application. These preferences will be considered wherever possible. However, candidates should be aware that they may still be placed in a different state.

Diversity Program

Within the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant program in Germany, at least 20 of the approximately 140 grantees will be placed in German schools with significant numbers of students with minority or refugee backgrounds. Fulbright Germany will select the grantees for these schools based on the applicants' academic backgrounds, individual qualifications, and interests. Applicants interested in a diversity placement should mention this in the Abstract/Summary of Proposal section of the Fulbright application. Please note that a Diversity Program placement cannot be guaranteed; however, many German schools have diverse student populations.

Special Opportunities

During the grant period, university enrollment as a visiting student may be possible (subject to decision by the university and proximity to the teaching assignment). However, Fulbright Germany will not be able to cover any tuition, semester fees, or other costs related to university enrollment.


Dependent support is not available.

Additional Online Resources

Fulbright Germany Alumni Stories