Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

18 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Up to 20 awards are offered for the Fulbright Study/Research Grant program:

  • 8-10 in the hard and life sciences
  • 8-10 in the arts, humanities, and social sciences

Grant Period

9 Months

Grants will begin on September 1/October 1 to June 30/July 31 for university attendance. Grant periods vary according to an applicant's proposal type as follows:

  • Degree seeking MA/MS graduating seniors: 10 months.
  • Doctoral candidates: 6-9 months
  • Artists: 9 months
  • Non-degree seeking graduating seniors: 8 months 

Degree-seeking candidates may apply to degree programs taught in French or English.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation


Grantees will be required to attend a mandatory 1- to 2-day in-country orientation in late September or early October, and a 2-day mid-year conference in February (organized by the Fulbright Commission in France).

Candidate Profile

Graduating seniors, recent graduates, advanced graduate students, doctoral candidates, and those with previous research experience are encouraged to apply.

  • Applicants in the arts, humanities, and social sciences may propose to do the following in their application: complete a full graduate degree (master's or Ph.D.); attend courses in a French university as a non-degree seeking student; pursue research in France; or pursue a combination of research and course work in France. Preference will be given to candidates enrolling in degree programs in a French institution.
    • Degree-seeking students will be eligible for a student visa.
    • Non-degree seeking students will be eligible for a visitor visa.
  • For reasons of visa eligibility, applicants in the hard sciences (including life sciences and engineering) must fall into one of three categories:
    • Be enrolled in a French university as a student during their stay in France, in which case they are eligible for a student visa;
    • Be enrolled in a U.S. university during their stay in France, in which case they are eligible for an intern visa; or
    • Provide verification of already having completed a master's degree before arriving in France, in which case they are eligible for a scientific-researcher visa.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: French language proficiency is recommended, commensurate with the requirements of the project. Sponsored language courses are not offered by the Fulbright program in France; however, candidates are encouraged to check with the host institution for language course possibilities. In the Fulbright online application, applicants should include a Language Self-Evaluation and a Foreign Language Evaluation by a professional language instructor in relation to their language proficiency.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


It is the applicant's responsibility to secure affiliation with a French university or research center. A letter of affiliation should be submitted with the application. If the applicant is enrolling in a degree program, proof of acceptance is not required before or during the application process, but awards are made conditional upon acceptance by the chosen institution before arrival.

Before beginning the application process, candidates should take time to research the best possible place to pursue the chosen course of study, taking into consideration the faculty, achievements, publications, and research of the relevant department in a number of institutions, as well as their locations.

Candidates who will be applying to university study programs must pay attention to university program application deadlines and requirements. They should also pay particular attention to the requirement of enrolling with Campus France, a mandatory step in the application process. Most universities require that candidates complete registration with Campus France by the deadline in early March 2021. Candidates should therefore register with Campus France well before the deadline in order to maintain eligibility for university enrollment. Access the Campus France "Etudes en France" enrollment portal here.

Applicants may also consult the Campus France USA website for general information on visas, studying in France, and French institutions of higher education. Please note that the Campus France higher education directory includes programs offered in French and in English.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Tuition fees for standard public university programs were set at 3770 Euros per year for Master’s programs for the 2019-2020 academic year for non-EU citizens. (Private institutions and other special degree programs may have higher tuition rates.) We encourage applicants to inquire with prospective institutions about scholarships and tuition waivers.

Please note that, according to French law, all students are required to pay student fees ("contribution de vie étudiante et de campus" or CVEC) as part of enrollment. In 2019-2020, these fees were 91 euros.


Candidates residing in France at the time of application are not eligible for consideration.

Music and Fine Arts

Applicants are encouraged to establish contact with specialists in their fields before applying for a grant, and to solicit invitations to study under them. Although the Fulbright Commission in France prefers affiliation with accredited institutions, applicants may be authorized to study with private teachers. Please note that additional personal funds will be needed to cover costs for private lessons, rehearsal facilities, studio space, etc. Musicians and visual artists looking to carry out a project in the Paris area are encouraged to apply for the Fulbright-Harriet Hale Woolley Award.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Charlotte Goodwin