Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

2 Fulbright-University of Turku Graduate Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Up to two awards are offered to pursue study or research at the Master’s or Doctoral level at the University of Turku. Awards are offered to pursue a full graduate degree, non-degree studies or research. Post-doctoral placements are also available for those finalizing their theses before commencing the grant period. The University of Turku provides a wide selection of courses in English at the Master’s and Ph.D. levels.

Grant Period

9 Months

Grants will begin in early September. In exceptional circumstances, the Fulbright Commission may consider beginning the grant period later in the year. If this is your preference, please indicate it explicitly in your application.

The grantee will be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Center pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses on Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.

There is a mandatory in-country orientation at the end of August. 

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

The Grant is available for U.S. citizens holding a Bachelor's or Master's degree. Academically talented graduating senior students are also encouraged to apply. Please note that young post-docs who will not have received their doctorate before the Fulbright Student Program deadline are also eligible to apply.

The Graduate award is aimed at those currently seeking admittance, or already admitted, to the University of Turku, either to one of its graduate degree (MA or PhD) or postdoctoral programs. Master's-level non-degree studies can also be considered. However, postdoctoral exchanges or degree studies are preferred.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Finnish or Swedish language proficiency is not required unless it is needed to successfully complete the project/ study plan. Applicants do not necessarily need Finnish or Swedish in order to be able to study in Finland.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Candidates are responsible for establishing contact and securing an affiliation with the University of Turku and are required to apply independently for admission to the university, and comply with their application deadlines. It is required that the candidate submit evidence of secured affiliation with their grant application except in a situation where candidate is applying to a degree program and the univeristy admission decisions are made after the Fulbright deadline.

Please see more information on academic programs and courses at the University of Turku website.

Please see futher information on the affiliation letter requirement at the Finnish Fulbright Commission website at www.fulbright.fi/en/graduate-studies-and-research/fulbright-us-student-program.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Please see more details on the cost of study in Finland and the university provided scholarships at the Finnish Fulbright Commission website and Study in Finland website.


Candidates currently residing in Finland are not eligible for consideration.

Special Application Instructions

In your Embark on-line application, Question #22 Award Name please select Univ of Turku from the drop down menu to be considered for this award.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Karoliina Kokko

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.