Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

6 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Up to 6 awards are available for students in all fields (with some restrictions for those in medical studies).

The Award includes:

  • a monthly grant (EUR 1 200) for 9 months
  • a travel award (USD 1 600)

Please see further information on the Fulbright benefits on the Finnish Fulbright Commission's website.

Please note that tuition fees in Finland apply to students from outside the EU/EEA area in a bachelor’s and master’s level programs which are taught in English. However, tuition is not charged for doctoral studies or degree courses offered in Finnish or Swedish.

Grant Period

9 Months

Grant term begins in early September. In exceptional circumstances, the Fulbright Commission may consider beginning the grant period later in the year. If this is your preference, please indicate it explicitly in your application.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation


There is a mandatory in-country orientation at the mid/end of August.

Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels will be considered, and applicants can propose the following in their application: to complete a full graduate degree (MA or PhD), to take courses in a Finnish university as a non-degree seeking student, to pursue research in Finland, or to pursue a combination of research and course work.

Current Ph.D. candidates coming to conduct their doctoral research in Finland or students seeking to complete a full graduate degree program in Finland may be given preference.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Finnish or Swedish language proficiency is not required unless it is needed to successfully complete the project / study plan. Applicants do not necessarily need Finnish or Swedish in order to be able to study in Finland. Finnish universities have a wide selection of programs and courses taught in English.

English is widely spoken in academic circles and in the country as a whole. Candidates should consult the academic department as to the availability of courses and programs in English, as well as the possibility of successfully conducting research in English. Some study of local languages prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Candidates are responsible for establishing contact and securing an affiliation with a Finnish institution of higher education, research or other acceptable organization and are required to apply independently for admission to the university and comply with their application deadlines. It is required that the candidate submits evidence of secured affiliation with the Fulbright grant application, except in a situation where candidate is applying to a degree program in Finland and the university admission decisions are made after the Fulbright deadline.

Please see specific letter instructions on the Affiliation section at the Finnish Fulbright Commission website.

University admission guidelines can be found at the university websites or by contacting the International Coordinator at the school or department to which you wish to apply.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Please see details on the cost of study in Finland and the university provided scholarships at the Study in Finland website and from the Finnish Fulbright Commission website.


Candidates currently residing in Finland are not eligible for consideration.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Karoliina Kokko