Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

1 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

The grant term will be September to June.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Candidates at MA and PhD degree levels will be considered. Because of the residence permit legislation procedures, students enrolled at U.S. colleges or universities at the time of application are preferred over those applying at-large.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Estonian language proficiency is not required, though useful. Supervision by English-speaking professors is widely available, as are classes taught in English. Some opportunities also exist for Russian speakers. Some study of Estonian prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants are encouraged to arrange affiliations and submit letters of invitation/affiliation with their application. Alternatively, applicants may indicate preferences for affiliation, if an invitation is not available.

There are six public universities in Estonia, three of which are larger and recommended for American students seeking the company of other international students: University of Tartu (UT); Tallinn University; and Tallinn University of Technology. These institutions also have specialized branch institutions in other Estonian cities, for example, Viljandi Academy of Culture of University of Tartu, located in Viljandi and University of Tartu Narva College in Narva. For more information, please check the home pages of the above-mentioned institutions. There are also three smaller, specialized universities: University of Life Sciences in Tartu; Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre in Tallinn; and Estonian Academy of Arts in Tallinn. All of these universities have well-developed international student service systems. Tartu is the historical university city (UT dates back to 1632);Tallinn is Estonia’s cultural and political capital; both provide students with a wealth of research possibilities. 


Applicants proposing projects in the medical sciences are not eligible for consideration.

Visa Requirements

In order to obtain legal residency in Estonia all applicants need to be ready to secure a D visa through the Estonian Embassy or Consulate prior to embarking on the program in Estonia. The application needs to be coordinated with the host institution in Estonia to obtain necessary paperwork on behalf of the hosts.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Jane Susi

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.