Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

9 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

9 grants available. The grants are subject to the availability of funds.

Grant Period

10 Months

The grant period must begin in late August and end in June. A mandatory Fulbright Arrival Orientation takes place in Copenhagen in late August, and you must therefore plan your start date accordingly. Summer University is not possible for a Fulbright grant to Denmark.

You can apply for the Fulbright program before you have been accepted to the Danish host institutions. However, the acceptable application to Denmark must include a letter of invitation from a Danish university/institution clearly stating that the grant proposal content is of interest and will give access to a Danish residence permit through the university.

If you are selected for a Fulbright grant to Denmark, you are required to contact Fulbright Denmark in advance of planning your arrival and residence permit application. A Skype meeting with a representative from Fulbright Denmark will be required if you are considered for a Fulbright grant. You must submit exact dates in your application for the grant period in Denmark, as these dates will be used for the required student residence permit, grant documents and payment. It is important that you stay in contact with Fulbright Denmark, as they will help you throughout the process.

To sum up: The successful application to Denmark must ultimately be able to show total correspondence between the grant period in the application, the admission period at the Danish university, and the dates of the Danish residence permit. Your grant application to Denmark must prove that your residence permit will be arranged through the Danish host university.

If you have any questions in terms of the affiliation process, please contact us at:


Students must declare in their Fulbright grant application whether they are applying as a guest student or a degree-seeking student. Please be aware that only guest students will be eligible for the special Fulbright tuition waiver. Full-degree students must pay tuition for all years of the Danish degree. Students who select to change status to “degree-seeking student” after their Fulbright year with the permission of their Danish host institution will have to pay tuition for their Fulbright year as well, according to Danish legislation. Changing status and the consequences thereof are solely the student’s responsibility, but must be arranged together with Fulbright Denmark.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applications will be considered from well-qualified candidates for all graduate degree levels and in all fields if the proposal can be carried out within the auspices of Danish institutions of higher learning. Fulbright Denmark has identified three focus areas: life sciences; space; and sustainability (including arctic studies). All applicants must have previous experience in the proposed field of study.

Fulbright Denmark encourages applications from graduate students whose proposals involve full-time graduate study. Combined research and graduate advanced courses must be accepted by the Danish institution.

Master: Only applications for degree/non-degree (guest) enrollment can be accepted. Independent research or interview projects can under no circumstances be accepted.

PhD: Independent research projects can be accepted under affiliation with a Danish host institution.

All applicants must meet exam demands and other requirements of their Danish university program. If in doubt whether your plans are feasible for a Fulbright grant to Denmark, please contact Fulbright Denmark.

Greenland & the Faroe Islands – Fulbright Denmark offers the following two options:

General grant to Greenland and the Faroe Islands:

Due to the historically very special situation regarding Denmark and Greenland & the Faroe Islands, grants to these two places through Fulbright Denmark are presently limited to Fulbright projects where the American student can obtain full residence permit in Denmark. This means that the focus on Greenland or the Faroe Islands must be through the Danish host institution with a Danish residence permit, and the Fulbright stay must take place in Denmark allowing only for shorter visits to Greenland or the Faroe Islands through the Danish institution. Applicants must also obtain a strong and positive letter of invitation from the Greenland or Faroe Islands institution of higher learning involved in the short visits. Projects involving more extensive or full stays in Greenland or the Faroe Islands cannot be accepted as Fulbright projects by Fulbright Denmark due to the present legislation and the Fulbright Denmark Agreement.

For Greenland: Only applicants within sciences and social sciences may apply.

For the Faroe Islands: All main academic areas.

Applicants interested in studies or research in Greenland or the Faroe Islands must otherwise follow the general grant guidelines for grants to Denmark. 

If your project can meet the above demands, Fulbright Denmark is happy to advise you about affiliations to contact in Denmark.

Combined Denmark Semester and the Arctic Semester Greenland

Fulbright Denmark has a very special grant; one American Graduate Fulbright student grant to one academic year program with the first semester at the Arctic Research Centre (ARC), Aarhus University, Denmark and the second semester at the Arctic Semester in Greenland Program at the Greenland Institute of Natural Resources (GINR), Nuuk, Greenland. The grant is offered through Fulbright Denmark, and both the ARC at Aarhus University and the GINR will admit the Fulbright student to the program.

For the American student this is a unique opportunity for the Fulbright Academic grant year, offering the opportunity of staying/studying in both Denmark and Greenland. Both academic centers are very prestigious and work together. This would offer the American student a high level and well functioning base and open up for important professional networking opportunities in both Denmark and Greenland.

Student profile and grant content: The U.S. graduate student (must have finished his/her bachelor’s degree before semester start in Denmark) within natural sciences and with an interest in/academic focus on Arctic eco systems and climate changes. The first semester (fall) will take place at ARC at Aarhus University taking classes; and the second semester (spring) at GINR taking classes and be directly involved in Arctic Field experience. The student must take the mandatory classes for the program (no exceptions) both in Aarhus and in Nuuk (An overview of classes can be seen here).

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Danish language proficiency is not required unless demanded by the Danish institution or needed to successfully complete the project/study plan or if the applicant is pursuing Kierkegaard studies; areas within Danish studies; or archival studies.

The language of instruction in institutions of higher learning is generally Danish, but with a large number of courses or full programs taught in English. If necessary, applicants must include plans for pre-departure language study in their Fulbright applications. Danish language abilities will greatly enhance the Fulbright experience.

Many universities offer pre-semester Danish language courses, but students should be aware of residence permit requirements if they choose to attend these courses. If students wish to take language courses prior to their semester start, the start dates for this should be used when obtaining a residence permit in order to comply with Danish legislation.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: No

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants are reminded that they must apply independently for admission to the Danish university, and comply with their application deadlines at the same time as the Fulbright application is submitted. University admission guidelines can be found at the university websites. Applicants must clearly state in their contact with the Danish institution that they are applying for a Fulbright grant, and the application to Fulbright must include a copy of admission correspondence.

Admission to a Danish institution of higher learning is necessary in order to comply with Danish residence permit laws, and all candidates must therefore be admitted to a Danish institution that has legal status to apply for a residence permit on the candidate’s behalf. The Fulbright grant to Denmark is therefore dependent on a successful admission to a Danish institution of higher education. American students to Denmark need a letter of affiliation from a Danish host institution regardless of their level of education. Sample letters (attached here in two versions: (one for Master’s studentsone for PhD students) must be filled out by the Danish institution and must accompany the Fulbright application, otherwise it cannot be considered for a Fulbright grant. The admission status in this letter must be identical to the one in the Fulbright application and the residence permit.

All applicants must comply with all study program requirements of their Danish education in order to maintain their student residence permit in Denmark. Complying with study program requirements and maintaining a residence permit are requirements for obtaining a Fulbright grant to Denmark.

The admission process for some fields, especially in the arts, may include the submission of a portfolio or auditions in Denmark.

Fulbright Denmark is willing to assist you with contact information to appropriate Danish institutions.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

A Fulbright grant is only for one/the first year of study in Denmark. An applicant to Denmark must declare, as part of the application process, whether he/she is degree or non-degree seeking. It is possible to apply for a Fulbright grant as a guest student to Denmark or as a degree seeking student. A Fulbright guest student will not have to pay Danish tuition while on his/her Fulbright. However, a Fulbright student seeking a full Danish degree will have to pay full tuition for all the years of the degree. Any later change of status from non-degree to degree seeking while in Denmark may not be possible but if accepted it will involve retrospective payment of tuition for the first year for the Fulbright student.

Under no circumstances can Fulbright Denmark be responsible for any financial or academic changes due to these plans. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to research any degree and financial possibilities after the Fulbright grant period.

A few post-graduate and certificate/diploma degree programs are not part of the special tuition waiver agreement with the Danish government. Therefore Fulbright grantees will have to pay tuition in order to attend these special one-year Master’s degree/certificate programs. Based on experience, it is unlikely that the Danish Selection Committee will choose an applicant for one of these special one-year diploma degrees.

Private lessons, such as music instruction outside of the student’s institutional affiliation, are not free and will require that the student budget accordingly.


Dual citizens of the U.S. and Denmark are ineligible for consideration. Students with dual U.S./other country citizenship may be accepted for a Fulbright grant to Denmark, but must always enter Denmark on their U.S. passports and must have permanent residence in the U.S. They must also enroll as U.S. students at the Danish institution for the entire period of their Fulbright grant.

Students who are not admitted to their proposed programs of study in Denmark cannot be considered for a Fulbright grant to Denmark.

Students who have already begun their studies in Denmark at the time of application are ineligible to apply, as are students who have already spent considerable time in Denmark (½ year study abroad as part of a U.S. university degree is not included).

If you are unsure of your eligibility for a Fulbright grant, please contact Fulbright Denmark.

Special Application Instructions

Candidates for the ‘Combined Denmark Semester and the Arctic Semester Greenland’ opportunity should include ‘Combined Semester' at the start of their project title in the application.


Fulbright Denmark is not responsible for securing housing for grantees. Students should allow ample time to secure housing before departing for Denmark. Danish universities are not obligated to find housing but may be able to offer some support – check their websites for more information. Be very aware of housing scams. Securing housing can take time, and good advice is to connect with former US grantees to Denmark; when chosen, Fulbright Denmark will give you access to these contacts.

Dependent Support

A Fulbright student grantee to Denmark with dependent(s) will receive a one-off amount of 20,000 DKK (approximately 3,000 USD) extra on his/her grant, but according to Danish residence permit rules the dependent(s) must be able to support him/herself to the amount of a Danish student loan – more details are available here. The limited Fulbright dependent support (spouse/registered partner) is only available for a dependent staying in Denmark for the entire Fulbright grant period. Dependents must obtain a personal residence permit in order to stay in Denmark.

Grant applications must clearly indicate the number of dependents accompanying the applicant during the entire grant period. Grant applications must also address what the dependents will do during their stay in Denmark, as well as how they plan to obtain their needed Danish residence permit. If this important information is omitted, the application cannot be considered by the Selection Committee. Be aware that you will need to provide additional documentation, including proof of financial support, in order to secure a residence permit for any accompanying dependents.

Read about the requirements for obtaining residence permits for accompanying family members here.

Please feel free to contact Fulbright Denmark if you have any questions concerning dependents.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Fulbright Program Coordinator