Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Czech Republic

< Back to country

5 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

9 Months

Grants will begin in mid-September and end in mid-June.

The Fulbright Commission organizes a mandatory 4-day orientation in mid-September and a mid-year conference in early February. Attendance at these events is required.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Advanced graduate students capable of working independently are preferred. Applicants should have some experience in the proposed field of study.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Czech language proficiency is required only for specific study plans (e.g., studies of Czech language, literature, history) or programs in Czech.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


If applicants are proposing independent research projects, they must present evidence of consultation with relevant scholars in the Czech Republic regarding the feasibility of their proposed projects and the availability of related resources. However, the Fulbright Commission is prepared to assist in locating research contacts. Letters of support from Czech scholars must be included in the application.

The project affiliation should routinely be with a university (including universities of applied science). However non-university research institutions (e.g. Czech Academy of Sciences) will be also welcome.

If applicants are applying for programs at Czech universities (i.e., they do not propose an independent research project), they are encouraged to apply for programs with Czech as the language of instruction. Graduate degree programs with Czech as the language of instruction at public universities do not charge tuition. 


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.