Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

1 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Grants will begin in October. All grantees are required to attend the in-country orientation the last week of September and should plan their arrival accordingly.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels are considered, but Ph.D. and master's candidates who present serious study projects and are capable of independent study are preferred. Applications are welcome in all fields.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Croatian language proficiency is not required, though helpful. Some study of Croatian prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community. Local language schools and institutes offer courses in Croatian language and culture.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Candidates are responsible for securing their own affiliation at a Croatian university. Preliminary contacts and letters of support from host institutions are preferred, but not required, at the time of application. It is not necessary to have secured an affiliation at the time of application; however, grantees must submit evidence of an affiliation at least three months before arriving in Croatia.

Visa requirements

First Residence Permit: The Croatian government passed a new law for foreigners similar to residency and entry laws for European Union member states. The law stipulates that foreign citizens planning to stay in Croatia longer than 90 days must apply for the First Residence Permit (for a period covering their entire stay in Croatia). For detailed instructions on the procedure and required documents please refer to the Handbook for Fulbright Grantees in Croatia that will be provided to all grantees as part of pre-departure materials.


Dual U.S./Croatian citizens may apply for a grant; however, applicants should be aware that by Croatian law the following are automatically considered Croatian citizens: any person with dual citizenship (Croatian and American); any person born in Croatia; and, any person born in the U.S. of Croatian parents (both of whom must be Croatian citizens) and registered as a Croatian citizen by the age of 18. In cases where dual nationals encounter difficulties, the ability of the U.S. Embassy to provide assistance is quite limited.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Sasa Brlek

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.