Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

4 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

9 Months

Grants will follow the academic calendar, beginning in mid-September and concluding in mid-June. Grantees will be required to attend an in-country orientation with the Fulbright Commission in Brussels, Belgium, upon arrival in September. 

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Candidates to the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program should be well-rounded, articulate individuals with the skills and motivation needed to assist in teaching American studies and English language to Belgian students at the pre-university and/or university level.

Students with an academic background or professional experience in a related field (e.g., literature, linguistics) should make sure to state this in their applications. Applications from candidates holding Bachelor's or Master's degrees in any field will be accepted, but preference may be given to students with prior teaching experience.

English Teaching Assistants are expected to serve as cultural ambassadors to Belgium, and preference is given to candidates who demonstrate the initiative to integrate cultural events into their lesson plans and who will continue to promote U.S.-Belgian relations upon their return to the United States. Previous teaching experience is welcome. 

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Foreign language proficiency is not required, but preference may be given to applicants with some level of proficiency in one of Belgium's three official languages (French, Dutch, and German). There is no guarantee that grantees with prior academic study of French will be placed in a Francophone institution or that grantees with prior academic study of Dutch will be placed in a Dutch-speaking institution.

Upon selection, some study of the local language prior to arrival is encouraged to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Placement Type

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Host institutions in Belgium include secondary schools (located primarily in bilingual Brussels) and universities and university colleges (located throughout Belgium). The Fulbright Commission will place selected grantees in a host institution based on the candidate's academic profile and stated interests as well as the preferences of the partner institution.

Placement types vary from year to year, but candidates are encouraged to visit the website of the Fulbright Commission to learn more about the program and to read blog posts from previous Fulbright grantees.

Assistants teach approximately 12 hours per week; activities vary depending on the needs of the students and host institution teachers. Assistants may be able to enroll in limited courses, including language courses, upon agreement with the host institution on arrival. In addition to their work inside the classroom, grantees are expected to engage in other activities related to their personal, career, and/or educational interests. These may include an extracurricular club for students or an independent study/research project or other activity that will complement, but not conflict with, assigned teaching and advising responsibilities. Applicants should include a brief description of their supplementary projects in their Statements of Grant Purpose.


Dual U.S./Belgian citizens and current Belgian residents are ineligible.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Elisabeth Bloxam