Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

2 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Award Profile

We are not accepting U.S. Student and ETA applications to Venezuela at this time.  Applicants should check with IIE periodically regarding the status of the Fulbright U.S. Student and ETA Programs to Venezuela.

ETAs spend up to 30 hours per week engaging in language learning activities such as: leading language learning classes, facilitating conversation groups, and/or presenting lectures/discussions on U.S. culture and society to young students.

Grant Period

10 Months

Mid-September to July, beginning with a mandatory orientation program in Caracas.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of the grant, all grantees to Venezuela are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in June or July.

Candidate Profile

Applicants should be mature and articulate, as well as energetic, enthusiastic, and able to relate to pre-teen and teenage students. An awareness of and sensitivity to current events in the host country are essential in this program. No previous teaching experience is required, but a demonstrated interest in education and learning is strongly recommended.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information: Applicants should discuss plans for language study between time of application and the commencement of the grant on Applicant Form 7: Language Self-Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is also required.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Other Educational Institution

Grantees are placed at a Binational Center (BNC), in Merida, Maracaibo or Caracas, affiliated with the U.S. Embassy or at one of several universities in cities throughout the country that are affiliated with the ETA program. Applicants should indicate if they have a preference for a BNC or university placement; such requests will be considered, but are not guaranteed. In addition, grantees will be called upon to make presentations on an aspect(s) of U.S. culture and society, e.g., music, art, law, journalism, etc., within their host community.

Drawing on their own backgrounds, experiences and interests, applicants should describe how they would incorporate such topics into their classroom and community activities in their Statements of Grant Purpose. ETAs also may pursue an independent research, study or volunteer project. The project is a secondary activity that will supplement the grantee’s ETA responsibilities. Applicants should briefly describe this project plan in their Statements of Grant Purpose.

Housing arrangements will be made with the assistance of the U.S. Embassy, the BNCs or the universities.

Special Note for ETA Applicants

In recent years, several grantees were unable to obtain a courtesy visa in time to carry out their grants in Venezuela. If this occurs, selected grantees may be able to transfer to another country in the Western Hemisphere, if funding is available. Therefore, applicants to Venezuela must be flexible and open to changes in the event of visa complications.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Gabriela Febres-Rivas

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.