Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Advanced graduate students working on doctoral dissertations are preferred. However, serious consideration will be given to Master's students, graduating seniors, and recent graduates who present significant study Bachelor's-level or research projects and establish an academic affiliation with an institution for coursework or a research support.

Grant Period

9 Months

March to December 2022. Candidates are strongly encouraged to plan their grant projects for the academic year, since universities are closed during December, January and February and therefore, little academic work can be accomplished. The grant period starts with an orientation organized by the Fulbright Commission in mid-March. Attendance at the orientation is required.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information: Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between the time of application and the commencement of the grant with the Language Self-Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is also required.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Uruguay has two public universities: the Universidad de la República (State University), which is free and offers courses in any field of study; and UTEC (Technologic University of Uruguay).There are also four private universities, as well as private research institutes such as: CLAEH (Centro Latinoamericano de Economía Humana), INIA (Instituto Nacional de Investigacion Agropecuaria), and, LATU (Laboratorio Tecnológico del Uruguay). Applicants are encouraged to initiate contact with the host institution of their preference and to include their letter of invitation or support with the application. The Fulbright Commission in Uruguay will assist grantees in confirming a host institution affiliation or by recommending alternate affiliations. Candidates who seek to earn a degree from a Uruguayan university will not be considered.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The State University is free. Candidates may audit classes for free.


Candidates already in Uruguay at the time of application are not eligible.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website