Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period

10 Months

The academic year is March through December. Most grantees choose to begin in the fall, but the start date is flexible. No grants may begin before the Pre-Departure Orientation, and the latest possible start date is March 31, 2022.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of the grant, all grantees to Central America are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in the U.S. in June or July.

An onsite Embassy briefing session will be conducted within one week of the grantees' arrival in Panama.

Arrival Orientation

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between time of application and the commencement of the grant with the Language Self-Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is also required.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliations with an academic institution, research facility, or another appropriate organization, and for submitting supporting documentation verifying the affiliation at the time of application.

Students wishing to pursue human subject research of a medical nature, or environmental research, particularly of endangered Panamanian flora or fauna, are required to obtain a letter of support from a higher education institution located in Panama. At least one working (non-retired) local professor from the institution must be willing to provide academic guidance and oversight of the research. Support from a U.S.-based institution is insufficient, unless the institution has a physical presence in Panama in the form of either a professor(s) or a local licensing agreement. Students are responsible for securing their own academic (non-credit) sponsorship prior to arrival in Panama. The Public Affairs Section must receive a copy of this letter of support prior to arrival in Panama.

Special Application Instructions

The temporary resident immigration category was created on September 8, 2015, but it was not until 2018 that it was put into full effect. Applicants travelling to Panama must complete the process to obtain their Temporary Resident Permit under the immigration category of Fulbright Students. Post will guide applicants through the process but it is necessary to consider that some documents must be requested, notarized or apostilled in the Untied States.

Before entry to the country the grantee must contact the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section staff who will assist them with the necessary information to issue the Fulbright Temporary Resident Permit which allows them to stay in the country for a period longer than three months.

General Comments

Applications in all fields will be accepted. Areas of particular interest are: economics and business development; Education/TEFL/E-Learning; U.S.-Panama relations; International students exchange programs; Panama Canal studies; biology; environmental sciences; ecology; forest resource conservation; tourism development and related topics; public administration/political science to include anti-corruption, transparency and governance.

Special Considerations

Due to security risks, travel may be restricted to some regions of Panama. Travel beyond Santa Fe, Province of Darien is prohibited. Please refer to the State Department's Panama Travel Information webpage for the latest updates. Applicants are responsible for obtaining the necessary permits/authorizations and paying the respective fees required by the Panamanian government to carry out their research projects.

Before entry to the country the grantee must contact the U.S. Embassy's Public Affairs Section staff who will assist him/her with the necessary information to issue the Fulbright Temporary Permit which allows him/her to stay in the country for a period longer than three months.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Sarah Ferguson de Cano