Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period

10 Months

Most grantees choose to begin in the fall, but the start date is flexible. The last possible start date is March 31, 2022.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of the grant, all grantees to the Caribbean are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in the U.S. in June or July.

The U.S. Embassy in Kingston requires that grantees contact them no later than a month after the Pre-Departure Orientation to begin to discuss transitioning to Jamaica.  Early contact helps Embassy staff to cater to specific needs of the grantee in a timely way. The grantee must remain accessible by email or other social media platform.

Arrival Orientation

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliation(s) with an academic institution, research facility, or other appropriate organization, and for submitting supporting documentation. Affiliation with the University of West Indies (UWI) is highly recommended but other reputable local tertiary institutions will be considered with strong demonstration of academic and in-kind support from the institution.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The U.S. Embassy in Kingston may be able to obtain a tuition waiver or discount for grantees to audit a course or two each semester. Waivers for full tuition or for grantees seeking to obtain degrees at UWI are subject to discussion with the university and are not guaranteed. Applicants should have alternate plans for funding tuition for full-time or degree study as the Fulbright grant does not provide funds for tuition. The U.S. Embassy will assist grantees with finalizing arrangements.

Specific Considerations

  1. Accommodation may be available at UWI only if the student is planning to be a full-time student at UWI for the academic year. Inquiries need to be made at the time of application to UWI.  Accommodation options are limited and the safety of grantees is of paramount concern, so early research will help to ensure best options are available to successful applicants.
  2. When designing projects, applicants should be aware that street crime is a concern in urban areas, and projects that compromise safety are not advised.

Visa Requirements

U.S. students traveling to Jamaica as part of the Fulbright Program must obtain a valid student visa prior to entry into Jamaica. The grantee will also be required to extend this visa at the local immigration office shortly after arrival. This must be done for the grantee and any dependent who will remain in Jamaica for more than one month after the arrival of the grantee. The grantee is responsible for obtaining the required visa and visa extension, but the U.S. Embassy will assist by taking the grantee to the appropriate office for the submission of required documents. The grant does not provide for expenses related to visa fees; any visa expenses will be borne by the grantee. Student entry visa application processing at respective Jamaican consulates/embassy in the United States requires proof of a round-trip ticket and a doctor's certificate/report stating that the applicant has no communicable diseases. 


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website