Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


1 Fulbright/NAF Pediatric Cancer Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
Fall Start
Award Profile

The Netherland-America Foundation supports special grants to benefit pedatric cancer research.

Grant Period
Fall Start

Applications for grants of 6 to 9 months, starting September 1, will be considered.

In-Country Orientation
Candidate Profile

Graduates or students from schools of medicine and students pursuing graduate studies or research in the basic clinical or pharmaceutical sciences with application to the field of oncology will be considered. Also students in biomedical sciences, psychology and other fields are considered, if their research is in the field of pediatric cancer.

Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required

Additional Information: Dutch language proficiency is not required, but is useful at the time of arrival. Some study of Dutch prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community. 

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research: Yes
Graduate Degree Enrollment: No
Letter required at deadline

Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliations. A good starting point is one of the following 8 pediatric oncology centers. 

  1. Emma Kinderziekenhuis AMC - Amsterdam / VU MC Amsterdam
  2. UMC Groningen Koningin Beatrix Kinderkliniek - Groningen
  3. Willem-Alexander Kinder- en Jeugdcentrum - Leiden
  4. UMC St. Radboud Amalia Kinderziekenhuis - Nijmegen
  5. ErasmusMC - Sophia Kinderziekenhuis - Rotterdam
  6. Wilhelmina Kinderziekenhuis - Utrecht
  7. Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology - Utrecht
Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Tuition not covered in grant benefits

Please see this link for grant amounts. No tuition fees will be charged for research students. 

Housing Arrangements

Grantees are responsible for finding housing themselves. The host university may be able to help with this, but this is not guaranteed. 


Dual citizens of this country are not eligible

Residency in host country not permitted in year prior to grant

Special Application Instructions

In your Fulbright online application, for Award Name please select NAF Childhood Cancer Research from the drop down menu.

Dependent support is not available
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact