1 Fulbright/Peter Real Analog Devices Bernal Award
Accepted Degree Levels
Grant PeriodFall Start
Grant Length12 Months
Specialized Grant Types
- Science/Public Health
Fulbright Graduate Degree Grants
Established in 2016, the Bernal Institute is the largest research institute at the University of Limerick. It hosts a multidisciplinary team of world-leading materials scientists and engineers at University of Limerick. Bernal represents a €100m+ investment in world-class characterisation, modelling and manufacturing facilities concentrated in 20,000 m of high quality research space. Our Vision is to become the leading international research institute for the scientific design and manufacture of structured materials to meet global challenges, particularly in the areas of health, energy and the environment. Our Mission is to develop disruptive technologies related to Health, Energy and Environment that will create a legacy of scientific achievement in structured materials research that benefits future generations.
Multinational semiconductor company Analog Devices has enjoyed a very strong partnership with the Bernal institute since its inception, and the University of Limerick since the beginning of its operations in Limerick, Ireland in 1976. This scholarship program in partnership between the Bernal Institute and Analog Devices is named in memory of Peter Real, Analog’s former Chief Technology Officer. A University of Limerick graduate, Peter was awarded the Gold Medal in 1981 by the University as the top graduating student. Upon joining Analog, he quickly rose through the ranks, excelling in both business leadership and design engineering where he earned 9 patents and invented many successful products.
Through this scholarship program and its research focus on scientific, biomedical, or ecological disciplines, Analog Devices aims to recognize Peter’s contribution to the industry, and to foster tighter relationships between Ireland and the US in Peter’s name.
The purpose of this grant is to enable US citizens who are resident in the US to complete a fully funded PhD at the University of Limerick over a period of 4 years.
Description: We are currently accepting applications for PhD studentship to encourage scientists to develop innovative research project in one of the following areas:
- Chemistry, specifically in the molecular and nano-technology space
- Engineering, specifically in the pharmaceutical, dairy and computational modelling space
- Biological Materials in medical device area
- Composites materials with application in aircraft/transport design
All four research project areas should aim to address the Bernal grand challenge areas of health, energy and environmental sustainability.
The studentship in Bernal aims to:
- provide a programme that is academically rigorous at a level appropriate to postgraduate research and consistent with standards nationally and internationally
- provide access to world class specialised equipment with researchers specialised in their disciplines
- opportunity to join postgraduate student’s union for social perspectives
- educate students in all aspects of research and critical evaluation, including research methodologies, critical review and ethics
- provide skills appropriate for research in professional context.
- provide education which will allow students to deliver translational research which has significance nationally and internationally.
The structured PhD programme is the advancement of knowledge through a high-quality experience of original research which is integrated with professional development. It develops students’ research knowledge and transferable skills through a formalised and integrated programme of activities. This programme develops advanced research skills for postgraduate research students in Science and Engineering Faculty.
The Fulbright award part thereof is for 12 months, with University of Limerick providing fee waivers and funding for the additional 3 years of the 4 year programme.
Must be holders of an honours bachelor degree, grade 2.1 or above, or a Master’s degree from a Recognised College in a relevant discipline.
Accepted Degree Levels
Special Application Instructions
In your Fulbright online application, for Award Name, please select the specific award you are applying for from the drop down menu.
Foreign Language Proficiency
Fulbright Proposal Types
Letter required at deadline
Applicants will need to apply for admission to the Bernal Institute at the University of Limerick
Fee waiver from the University of Limerick