Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


75 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
Fall Start
Award Profile

Germany boasts an excellent higher education system as well as a vital research ecosystem and infrastructure that offers an ideal environment for international students and researchers. Fulbright Germany's study and research program facilitates access to research and studies for two academic semesters at a German university or relevant non-university institutions, such as research labs or archives. During the 10-month grant period (usually starting in mid-September) grantees can broaden their professional, scientific, and artistic skills.

To find out more about research in Germany, please visit:

Grant Period
Fall Start

8 - 10 months for Bachelor's and Master's Degree Levels - Grants begin in mid-September, usually with an orientation meeting in Germany.

6 – 10 months for Doctoral Research candidates - Candidates applying for a grant of less than 8 months are asked to please include the grant length in their Project Title within the application, indicating the number of months in parentheses.  For example, “Fulbright Research Proposal Title (6).”

Grants should begin in mid-September 2022; a later start may be considered if before April 2023.

In-Country Orientation
Candidate Profile

Applicants may come from any recognized academic field and be at any academic level; however, they must have completed at least a bachelor's degree at the start of the grant. Applicants should have an excellent academic record and strong reference letters. Since Fulbright grantees are representing their country in all aspects, applicants should have strong intercultural and leadership skills. Proposed projects should be innovative, feasible in Germany, fit in the candidate's previous academic training and future objectives, and be based on the candidate's overall academic background and profile.

Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Recommended - Novice

Recommended one year of college-level study, or the equivalent, prior to commencing the grant.

Additional Information: Many German universities offer master's programs in English, and most research at German universities or research institutions is conducted in English. However, in dealing with German administration and authorities, and to cope with everyday life in their host community, candidates should have at least a basic knowledge of German. Therefore, applicants should consider refreshing their German language skills during the months before arriving in Germany, and they should consider taking additional courses offered at their potential German host institutions. Fulbright Germany will decide whether a designated grantee will receive funds for additional language training in Germany.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research: Yes
Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes
Letter required at deadline

Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliation with higher education or research institutions in Germany.

Before beginning the application process, candidates should take time to research the best possible place to pursue research or to study, taking into consideration the faculty, achievements, publications, and research of the relevant research institute or university department, as well as their locations.

All applicants (including degree-seeking applicants) are strongly encouraged to solicit a meaningful letter of invitation/support from their host institution and include it in their Fulbright application. The letter should make clear reference to the applicant's project, explain the institution's motivation for hosting the applicant, confirm the feasibility of the project, and outline the cooperation and support which the host institution will offer to help achieve the applicant's goals. This invitation letter is a prerequisite for the matriculation as a visting/non-degree-seeking student at a German university.

Candidates who wish to study at a German university may pursue two options:

  1. Enrollment as a visiting/non-degree student with all benefits for matriculated students, such as a transportation pass. Please check whether the non-degree status is available at your potential host university.
  2. Seek admission as a degree student in a one- or two-year master's program. Fulbright Germany welcomes such applications even though the funding can be offered only for the first year and does not cover any tuition fees.

Candidates are recommended to consult with the international offices of their intended host institutions regarding matriculation requirements for Fulbright grantees. In addition to matriculation, applicants are expected to fulfill the enrollment requirements of their respective study programs.  

Candidates who wish to conduct research at a German institution have the following option:

Candidates may matriculate with their host university or host institute (Max-Planck, Leibniz, Helmholtz Zentrum etc.) as research fellows and are not formally enrolled as a visiting/non-degree seeking student. However, Fulbright Germany encourages them to attend regular university courses so as to enhance their academic experiences in Germany. When selecting their preferred research institution, applicants should note that close proximity between the research institution and university is imperative for the successful enrollment in university courses.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Tuition not covered in grant benefits

German Higher Education System: Information Update

The public higher education institutions in the German federal state of Baden-Wuerttemberg have introduced tuition fees in the amount of Euro 1,500 per academic semester for international students coming from countries outside the European Union. 

This regulation also affects U.S. students who wish to pursue study and research at a university in Baden-Wuerttemberg – if the study and research activities take place outside an official partnership program between the student's U.S. home university and the host university in Baden-Wuerttemberg.

Unfortunately, Fulbright students cannot avoid this regulation by not enrolling in the host university. Applicants interested in studying and/or performing research at a university in Baden-Wuerttemberg (or any other German university) must enroll in the intended host university in order to qualify for the required student residence permit. In the case of Baden-Wuerttemberg, they will then be charged tuition of Euro 1,500 per academic semester. Fulbright Germany will not be able to cover these fees.

The universities in Baden-Wuerttemberg can grant exceptions of this regulation only for those students who can prove to them that their enrollment in the U.S. home university continues throughout the Fulbright scholarship period, in which case students must submit such proof in writing, issued by their U.S. home university.

Housing Arrangements

Applicants are responsible for their own housing arrangements and costs, which can be covered by the monthly stipend.


Dual citizens of this country are not eligible

Residency in host country permitted in year prior to grant

Applicants already enrolled in a master’s program in Germany, or who have already begun their academic program in Germany, are not eligible for Fulbright funding.

University Matriculation

All designated grantees (including research fellows and arts grantees) must be fully matriculated at their host institution, be it a research institute (Max-Planck, Leibniz, etc.) or one of the 400 accredited German academic institutions. Fulbright Germany cannot accept "guest" status. Matriculation at a research institute provides the candidates with office and lab space, computer facilities, internet connection, library access, and must help to provide them with a residency permit. The matriculation at a university facilitates access to university resources, public transportation passes, health insurance, and most important the residence permit.  

Exception: Fulbright Germany will exempt research fellows from the requirement of university matriculation if their host institution is located too far from a university. In that case, the research institute must provide documentation of affiliated researcher/guest status in order for the grantee to apply and receive the required residence permit for Germany.

Master's Programs: In Germany, master's degrees typically require a bachelor's in the same or a closely related field. Applicants who wish to enroll in a German master's program are advised to research the admission requirements of their preferred program to make sure they are eligible for admission and fulfill all necessary application requirements.  Application deadlines for master’s programs vary and may close early. Applicants may need to submit their master's program application before knowing if they will receive a Fulbright grant. If applicants cannot confirm an official admission by the start of the grant, they risk losing the Fulbright grant. 

Music and Fine Arts Affiliations

Admission procedures at German institutions of music and the arts vary. Universities of music and the arts may require auditions and/or entrance examinations, along with submission of a portfolio. Fulbright Germany may thus require (and co-sponsor) candidates to travel to Germany for auditions which take place as early as June 2022. To increase their chances for admission, applicants are strongly encouraged to establish contact with German music and art professors before applying for a grant, and to solicit a compelling invitation letter.

Please note that Fulbright Germany does not accept music and art students who wish to study with private teachers or in private schools.

Arts candidates who wish to pursue independent research or complete a creative project must also seek an affiliation with a university in order to be fully matriculated.

Music and Arts Supplemental Materials Requirements

Final selection of grantees in music and art is decided by special screening committees in Germany.

Applicants in the Arts to Germany are required to submit two separate sets of materials:

  1. For the Fulbright National Screening Committee review, follow the guidelines list in the Required Supplementary Materials for Arts Applicants and submit required work to the Supplementary Materials Upload Portal by the October 2021 Fulbright application deadline.
  2. For the screening committees in Germany: please prepare a second set of supplemental materials following the requirements listed in Additional Materials for Music and Arts for Germany. You will be contacted at a later date to upload the prepared materials to a separate application portal.

For questions regarding these additional materials and specific requirements, please contact Fulbright Germany directly: 

Special Opportunities

Germanistic Society of America (GSA) Funding:

Each year, one to two Fulbright grants to Germany are funded by the Germanistic Society of America (GSA) in New York City. Founded in 1908, this organization is devoted to educational exchange between the United States and Germany, and has been raising scholarship funds for the past 54 years through the annual Quadrille Ball in New York City.  Recipients of GSA awards, which cover the grantee's living expenses in Germany, are chosen from the pool of candidates selected for Fulbright grants and will be notified by IIE. The GSA awardees receive a Fulbright Travel Grant.

Dependent support is available
Fulbright Program Management Contact