Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


4 Fulbright Ecole Normale Superieure (ENS) Paris-Saclay Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
September Start
Award Profile

Two to four awards of 6 to 12 months each are offered to pursue a master's degree or research at the Ecole normale supérieure (ENS) Paris-Saclay (previously ENS Cachan) in the fundamental sciences, engineering sciences, social sciences, and humanities.

ENS Paris-Saclay is the Université Paris-Saclay’s rigorously selective graduate school for research and higher education careers, and upholds the highest scientific standards. As both a school and center for research, ENS Paris-Saclay is faithful to the Ecoles normales supérieures’ tradition of excellence. Through its diploma (4-year degree), it provides “normaliens” with bolstered research-led disciplinary training with an international and multidisciplinary outlook in the fields of fundamental sciences, engineering, as well as humanities and social sciences. This education scheme then leads them to a master’s degree or doctorate.

In 2020, ENS Paris-Saclay moved to a new building on the Plateau de Saclay (19 miles to the south of Paris), where it can more easily benefit from the opportunities provided by the Paris-Saclay cluster and the newly established Université Paris-Saclay, of which ENS Paris-Saclay is a member.

For its first classification, Université Paris-Saclay was ranked 14th in the world in the 2020 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), and 1st in the world for Mathematics as well as 9th in the world for Physics (1st in Europe). In short, Université Paris-Saclay ranks among the Top 50 best universities in the world in no less than 25 disciplines.

Grant Period
September Start

Grants are awarded for a minimum duration of 6 months and a maximum duration of 12 months. Grant periods may vary for independent research projects.

Grants will generally begin on September 1 through June 30 for university attendance.

In-Country Orientation

Grantees will be required to attend a mandatory 1- to 2-day in-country orientation in late September or early October, and a 2-day mid-year conference in February (organized by the Fulbright Commission in France).

Grantees will also be required to attend the general meeting for new international students at ENS Paris-Saclay at the beginning of September.

Candidate Profile

Graduating college seniors, recent graduates, master's, and Ph.D.-level candidates interested in pursuing studies and/or research at ENS Paris-Saclay in the following fields are eligible to apply: fundamental sciences, engineering sciences, social sciences, and humanities.

For reasons of visa eligibility, applicants in the fundamental sciences (including life sciences and engineering) must fall into one of three categories:

    • Be enrolled at ENS Paris-Saclay as a student during their stay in France, in which case they are eligible for a student visa;
    • Be enrolled in a US university during their stay in France, in which case they are eligible for an intern visa; or
    • Provide verification of already having completed a master's degree before arriving in France, in which case they are eligible for a scientific-researcher visa.
Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information: Language courses are offered for free at ENS Paris-Saclay to select grantees: : intensive learning courses in September, and courses throughout the academic year according to students' proficiency. See:

In the Fulbright online application, applicants should include the Language Self-Evaluation and a Foreign Language Evaluation by a professional language instructor in relation to their language proficiency.

ENS Paris-Saclay delivers 7 master’s programs in English and there are 8 master’s programs delivered in both French and English. (A directory of programs by teaching language is available here.) An intermediate knowledge of French is required for candidates interested in pursuing coursework in French. A basic knowledge of French may be sufficient for candidates proposing scientific research projects.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research: Yes
Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes
Letter required at deadline

It is the applicant's responsibility to secure affiliation with ENS Paris-Saclay. Applicants are required to first contact the ENS Paris-Saclay International Office ( for information on the procedure to apply for the ENS Paris-Saclay international scholarship.

A letter of affiliation signed by the relevant supervisor at ENS Paris-Saclay should be submitted with the application for applicants pursuing both degree-seeking and research projects. Applicants enrolling in a degree seeking program must apply to ENS Paris-Saclay as well once they have been confirmed as Fulbright grantees. 

Please note that ENS Paris-Saclay is not the same institution as ENS in Paris itself (often referred to as “ENS Ulm”). In addition, while ENS Paris-Saclay is a member institution of the Université Paris-Saclay, not all Université Paris-Saclay programs are affiliated with ENS Paris-Saclay. Candidates need to be sure that the study and/or research projects they propose are indeed through ENS Paris-Saclay. Please reach out to the International Relations Office for complete and accurate information on programs of interest before beginning the application.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Tuition covered in grant benefits

A full tuition waiver is granted by ENS Paris-Saclay.

Please note that, according to French law, all students are required to pay administrative fees ("contribution de vie étudiante et de campus" or CVEC) as part of enrollment. In 2020-2021, these fees were 92 euros.


Dual citizens of this country are eligible

Residency in host country not permitted in year prior to grant

Special Application Instructions

In the Fulbright online application, please select ENS Paris-Saclay Grant from the Award Name drop-down menu.

Dependent support is not available
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact