Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


1 Fulbright-University of Jyväskylä Graduate Award NEW

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
September Start
Award Profile

The award is offered to U.S. students who wish to complete a full master’s degree at the University of Jyväskylä.

The Fulbright-University of Jyväskylä Graduate Award includes:

  • a monthly grant (EUR 1 000) awarded for one academic year (9 months)
  • a full tuition scholarship*
  • a travel award (USD 1 600)
  • Fulbright Finland pre-approved summer school
  • residence permit allowance (based on the actual permit fees, including grantee and accompanying family members)

* Based on the agreement with the Fulbright Finland Foundation, the University of Jyväskylä awards a scholarship for the recipient of the Fulbright-University of Jyväskylä Graduate Award to cover the annual tuition fee. The tuition scholarship is granted also for the second year of master’s studies provided that the grantee has been successful in his/her studies during the first year.

Please see further information on the Fulbright benefits on the Finnish Fulbright Commission's website

Grant Period
September Start

Grant term begins in early September. In exceptional circumstances, the Fulbright Commission may consider beginning the grant period later in the year. If this is your preference, please indicate it explicitly in your application.

The grantee will be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Finland Foundation pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses on Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.

Grant Length: 9 months.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation
Candidate Profile

The award competition is open to U.S. students who hold at least a bachelor’s degree. Academically talented graduating seniors may also apply before having their degree in hand. The grant is aimed at students who wish to complete a full master’s degree at the University of Jyväskylä.

Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required

Additional Information: Finnish or Swedish language proficiency is not required unless it is needed to successfully complete the project / study plan. Applicants do not necessarily need Finnish or Swedish in order to be able to study in Finland. Finnish universities have a wide selection of programs and courses taught in English.

English is widely spoken in academic circles and in the country as a whole. Candidates should consult the academic department as to the availability of courses and programs in English, as well as the possibility of successfully conducting research in English. Some study of local languages prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research: No
Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes
Letter recommended at deadline

Candidates are responsible for establishing contact and securing an affiliation with the University of Jyväskylä and are required to apply independently for admission to the university and comply with their application deadlines. It is required that the candidate submits evidence of secured affiliation with their grant application except in a situation where the candidate is applying to a degree program and the university admission decisions are made after the Fulbright deadline. University admission guidelines can be found at the university websites or by contacting the International Coordinator at the school or department to which you wish to apply.

Please see further instructions on the letter of affiliation for degree seeking students at the Finnish Fulbright Commission website.

Please see more information on academic programs and courses at the University of Jyväskylä website.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Tuition covered in grant benefits

Please see details on the cost of study in Finland and the university provided scholarships at the Study in Finland website and from the Finnish Fulbright Commission website.


Dual citizens of this country are eligible

Residency in host country not permitted in year prior to grant

Special Application Instructions

In the Fulbright online application, for Award Name, please select University of Jyväskylä Graduate Award from the drop-down menu to be considered for this award.

Dependent support is not available
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact