Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


6 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
August Start
Award Profile

Up to 6 awards are available for students in all fields (with some restrictions for those in medical studies).

The Award includes:

  • a monthly grant (EUR 1 200) for 9 months
  • a travel award (USD 1 600)

Please see further information on the Fulbright benefits on the Finnish Fulbright Commission's website.

Please note that tuition fees in Finland apply to students from outside the EU/EEA area in a bachelor’s and master’s level programs which are taught in English. However, tuition is not charged for doctoral studies or degree courses offered in Finnish or Swedish.

Grant Period
August Start

Grant term begins in early September. In exceptional circumstances, the Fulbright Commission may consider beginning the grant period later in the year. If this is your preference, please indicate it explicitly in your application.

Grant Length: 9 months.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation
Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels will be considered, and applicants can propose the following in their application: to complete a full graduate degree (MA or PhD), to take courses in a Finnish university as a non-degree seeking student, to pursue research in Finland, or to pursue a combination of research and course work.

Current Ph.D. candidates coming to conduct their doctoral research in Finland or students seeking to complete a full graduate degree program in Finland may be given preference.

Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required

Additional Information: Finnish or Swedish language proficiency is not required unless it is needed to successfully complete the project / study plan. Applicants do not necessarily need Finnish or Swedish in order to be able to study in Finland. Finnish universities have a wide selection of programs and courses taught in English.

English is widely spoken in academic circles and in the country as a whole. Candidates should consult the academic department as to the availability of courses and programs in English, as well as the possibility of successfully conducting research in English. Some study of local languages prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research: Yes
Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes
Letter required for independent research at deadline

Candidates are responsible for establishing contact and securing an affiliation with a Finnish institution of higher education, research or other acceptable organization and are required to apply independently for admission to the university and comply with their application deadlines. It is required that the candidate submits evidence of secured affiliation with the Fulbright grant application, except in a situation where the candidate is applying to a degree program in Finland and the university admission decisions are made after the Fulbright deadline.

Please see specific letter instructions on the Affiliation section at the Finnish Fulbright Commission website.

University admission guidelines can be found at the university websites or by contacting the International Coordinator at the school or department to which you wish to apply.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Please see details on the cost of study in Finland and the university provided scholarships at the Study in Finland website and from the Finnish Fulbright Commission website.


Dual citizens of this country are eligible

Residency in host country not permitted in year prior to grant

Dependent support is not available
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact